Chapter 1

Joelle's POV published: 02/16/2021

Today is the first day of summer break! And I intend on having the best time ever with my best friend Sammy. Two months with no school worries or responsibilities. Awesome!

Senior year is next year. The year where we have to look into colleges and what we want to do for the rest of our lives. That sounds like pure grownup and responsibility shit!

So two months of being stupid won't hurt. Right? Parties every night here I come!!!

———
"Hey bitch! Where are you?" I ask my best friend. We're supposed to go shopping for tonight.

What's tonight? Nothing special. Just the opening of the newest and best nightclub in Chicago! It's called "underground" and its supposed to be incredibly amazing!

Me being the awesome and convincing young woman that I am! I got me and Sammy on the list! I also got us some fake id's, but no one has to know about that last part.

"I'm about to pull up to your driveway whore, calm down." She replies sarcastically. I roll my eyes and hang up. I rush upstairs to get my bag and make sure I have everything. After I'm sure I have everything I run into her car. "Jeez it's cold outside! It's supposed to be summer isn't it?!" I complain desperately.

No seriously, it was freezing outside. "I don't know! You're the smart one, you tell me." She teases. I fake laugh and stare out the window.

We play some music the whole drive to the mall. I love hanging out with Sammy. She was practically me! Except for the school and family part.

Sam is like a sister to me, but I couldn't help but be just a tad bit jealous of her.

Sam's parents are always there for her and she also has a little brother who she can talk to. But Sam always finds a way to distance herself from them. On the other hand, my parents probably forgot they even had a daughter. They never had any other children, and they didn't have any siblings themselves. So growing up was very lonely. I had no aunts, uncles, or cousins.

That is, until I met Sammy in 4th grade. Ever since I met her, we have become inseparable. We do everything together, and there isn't one fact that we don't know about each other. Even so, when ever I'm home, I feel extremely lonely.

———

"Ouuu we should go into that store!" Sam says pointing to a very expensive looking boutique. I groan not really wanting to spend so much money on a dress. "Sammy, do we have to buy such expensive dresses?" I complain while being pulled into the store. She ignores me and starts looking around.

I'm awfully picky when it comes to what clothes I'm going to wear. Especially to a club opening like this one! I want something gorgeous and dazzling.

We walk around this store for a good 30 minutes but neither of us find anything we like. My feet begin to grow exhausted from all the walking. I'm looking around curious and hopeful to find a store we haven't already looked around.

My eyes roam the area and land on the most amazing dress for a night out that I've ever laid my eyes on. I drag Sammy toward the glass box holding the dress without warning.

"Heyyy! Chill out dude!" She shouts. "Sam! Look at this dress!" I point at it and we both stare in awe. "Hello ladies, would you like me to bring out the dress for you to try on?" An employee asks us.