47

Hello, everyone!

So, a lot of you have told me that they like to read shorter paragraphs, and I do want to turn this book into shorter paragraphs, spacing them more and stuff, if you all want that, too.

And this is a 'test chapter' for that.

Please comment if you like the way this chapter is parted, with the spaces and such!

Thank you all in advance, and enjoy reading!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ray Pov:

I was panting heavily as I tired my best to keep them busy. But more of them are coming up. Right, left, and behind. I'm being completely surrounded! These are not the same as that animal from before... They waste no movements and show signs of planning. And their skills were polished by practice. And still, they're not attacking me because I'm 'premium quality', for sure. They want to salvage tonight's shipment. And for that, they're no choice but to capture me alive and intact. Without even a scratched knee. These bastards are just trying to get me tired. As soon as I stop, I lose. I'll be snatched at that very instant. Going through the different ways of my next movements, I decided to go left.

While I did so, I took my scarf off, then threw it behind me, blinding one of the Demons for just a second. But even if that worked, which it did, the rest was still right behind me. And it didn't take long for the other one to take his place again. If I have to continue running much longer, I'll... No, I have to concentrate now. Otherwise, I won't make it.

West-south-west... North-west-south-west... Ok, I managed to build some distance from the other side. Now I bet all the pursuers will be drawn in. I have to keep going even if it's just 100 meters more... Even if it's just 10 meters... Pull them as far away from (Y/N) and the kids! But this... This isn't good... They've been gradually closing off all escape routes. Every time I came up with a way out, they block it immediately... It feels just like playing chess with Mama. But... I'm not letting you bastards win. I'm not stopping anytime soon. I'm not giving up. I'm not dying here!

My eyes widened slightly as I was forced to stop, being completely surrounded by those Demons. My breathing wasn't going to calm down soon, but that didn't bother me now. All I could think about was my next move. It's not over yet. I will live. I have to live! "It's over." said their boss, stepping closer to me. I merely glared at him. No, I'm not letting you call it! I won't die here. I won't let them catch me. Think. How to shake them off and escape- I tried to run again, but my body didn't have more strength for that. I collapsed onto the ground, putting my all in trying to stand up again. Shit! Run, run! Run! "Rest now. You've done well." it spoke, about to pick me up. Like hell! Move, damn it! Don't die here! If I die... (Y/N)! "Give up."

The moment those words left the Demon's mouth, I was picked up by someone else. That person said: "Come up! Now!" I couldn't even resist. Who's this? Slowly but surely, my surroundings turned into nothingness as I was starting to lose my consciousness.

Time skip: nighttime

(Y/N) Pov:

"That looks amazing, (Y/N)!" commented Chris, who sat next to me. I smiled a little, saying: "Thank you." before continuing the sketch I was making. This time, it was one of Emma. One in which she was smiling like she always did. I bit my lip slightly, putting my sketchbook down. "I'll just check on Ray and Emma..." I muttered, so that only a few children could hear me. They nodded, watching as I walked through the door.

Well, attempted to, as I bumped into someone. Out of habit, I bowed down, saying: "I-I'm sorry..." before looking up at the person. My eyes widened as I engulfed her into a hug, saying: "Emma! You're up!" The other children quickly joined the hug, calling out to her, a few of them shedding tears of joy. I stepped back from them, smiling at the picture in front of me.

Emma turned to face, asking: "Is everyone... fine...?" I nodded at her, saying: "Yeah, everyone's safe and sound." Her worried expression turned into a relieved one. I turned around to pick up a glass of water to hand to her, as I was suddenly in someone's arms. I gasped lightly, not having expected this. But my lips quickly formed into a smile as that person said: "I'm back." I let out a shaky breath, turning around to face him, saying: "Ray..." He hugged me once more, with me hugging him, too. "You're all right now, right?" I asked, cupping his face with my hands. His cheeks took a light shade of red at my action, but he nodded anyways. I sighed in relief, giving him a quick kiss on his cheek. Then, I hid my blushing face in his chest, hugging myself close to him once more.

A female voice said: "I'm sorry to have scared you so much. We really don't mean to add to your troubles." I looked over at the two of them, watching as both of them pulled their hoods down, reviling their faces, rather, masks. "I'm Mujika. And this is Sonju." she said, smiling at all of us. She then faced Emma, saying: "We don't eat humans. So relax, we don't have any intentions of harming you or your friends.

A short while later, we were sitting on the ground, with Mujika giving out the stew that she made. I was sitting in between Emma and Ray, watching Mujika as she handed the children the food. "What's the meaning of this? They're acting way too intimate..." noted Ray, making me sigh lightly. Both of them turned to look at me in confusion. "Mujika and Sonju are both really nice. Sonju e-even went out of his way to save you after I asked him to..." I admitted, smiling slightly up at Ray. "Huh?" I leaned my head on his shoulder, saying: "The food isn't poisoned. We had some before. Besides, if the two of them really wanted to harm us, they would've already done that in the forest." "More importantly, it's thanks to them that you guys are back with us! Let's believe our saviors." chimed Don in, receiving a nod from me.

"Blessed and pure is this aliment, and blessed are us who now partake of it. With gratitude to all life in heaven and earth, we say... Thank you for the meal." said Sonju, praying. The children, and me, folded our hands, repeating: "Thank you for the meal!" Ray looked at me once more. "It's okay to trust them. Really." I whispered, making him hesitantly nod. He started eating, which made me smile, seeing that he did trust them at least a little bit. Emma tried the stew, too, saying: "It's great..."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

So? Did you like the spaces I put in?

Picture from:

https://weheartit.com/entry/328731357