I hopped off the bed as I began to undress and threw on the hospital gown while Pierce tied the back of it. "Do you want me to hold your hand?" Pierce narrowed his eyes to me and I nodded slightly as I pushed myself back up onto the bed. It sounded silly but just having Pierce as close as possible made me feel so much better, more relaxed.

The door opened again revealing a woman who seemed to be about her mid-forties. Her hair had been graying over her light brown hair that was cut to her shoulders. She was dressed in a white lab coat as she walked up to me and stuck her hand out. 

"Hi Aspen, I'm Dr. O'Brien and I will be your gynecologists'."  She introduced before turning to Pierce and sticking her hand out. "Pierce, just here for moral support." Pierce shook her hand and she gave a small smile "How sweet of you."

"So Aspen, have you ever been to a gynecologist before?" She asked curiously as she stood in front of me. "I have, I just moved here a little over two months ago from Seattle Washington. Just trying to find a new doctor for a new prescription." I explained to her. 

"So you wanted to begin birth control again? I looked over your files and it looks like you've been off for about a year. Are you sexually active right now?"

"I am." I swallowed a lump in my throat as that was one of the most uncomfortable questions anyone could ask. It wasn't the fact I was embarrassed by being active it was the fact I didn't like the judgment that came with saying I had been active. 

"Ok and are you using protections such as condoms?" She asked and I nodded in response. "So for birth control prescription, we will talk about what medication will work best for you. But we do require a quick little exam first just to make sure everything is okay. It's not a pap smear but we do take a look." 

Those were the words I was fearing. The words saying she had to take a look and I was beginning to internally freak out. I looked over to Pierce in fear and I knew he could read my face right away. I looked back to her, my eyes flickering down to the ground as I built up the courage to tell her. Swallowing a lump that built up in my throat I looked back up to her and I knew she knew something had been wrong.

"I was raped." I disclosed, knowing all my doctors needed to know that information so they knew how to handle certain situations just like this one. When a normal girl went to the doctors to start a new prescription, it was a quick exam and that was it. When it was someone who was a rape victim it became a whole different process of care to make them feel more comfortable. 

She did seem taken back at first. "When was this?" She asked as she moved over to a folder that was placed on the countertop below the cabinets filled with supplies. The folder had my name written on it and I had known it was all my medical files. 

"When I was 16, so about two years ago."

"Ok, I do see in your files that a rape kit had been done on you and came back as positive." She continued to flip through the papers before setting them back on the counter. I looked over to Pierce whose face was in complete defeat. He had known I was raped and but to hear a rape kit came back positive on me made it even more real. I knew his heart ached for me and the pain I would now relive.

"The exam is quick, if you are uncomfortable anytime we will stop but we do need to just have a look inside. If you are not ready today you can make an appointment for anytime that you are ready." Dr. O'Brien reassured, offering to do it another time if I was not ready for what was about to come.

"No, I'll do it today." I tried to reassure myself it'd be okay but I didn't know it would be. I pushed myself back onto the bed and placed my feet into the stirrups that were aside from the bed, my legs being spread open as she sat down in a chair in front. Pierce took my hand in his, leaning over and pressing a kiss on my forehead.