Episode 4 - The Tournament Begins

Start from the beginning

I jump out of the bathroom and throw my dagger at his face. It ricochets away and imbeds itself in the wall. Karlof turns towards me angrily.

"Where did you get knife! Knife is not allowed!"

Karlof charges at me and I barely find the time to jump out of the way. With an angry growl, he spins around and runs at me again, but this time I catch him with a burst of energy. With a loud CLANK, Karlof goes flying out onto my balcony.

And then I realized my mistake.

Karlof noticed too because a smile spreads across his face. "Nice try, purple Ninja."

Karlof reaches up towards the Jadeblade.

"No!" I yell, flinging my hands forward. Suddenly, as if by an invisible force, Karlof freezes. I clench my fists, pull my hands back to my chest, and watch as Karlof's body is yanked away from the Jadeblade. I release my fists and press my hands to the left; Karlof's body slides across the ground until he is pinned to the wall.

Making sure to keep one hand directed at him, I cautiously walk out onto the balcony and take the Jadeblade. I glance back at Karlof and see that he is still struggling against the invisible force, but it's not an invisible force. A purple aura floats around Karlof's body, emitting the same eerie glow as my balls of energy. The moment I lower my hand to my side, the aura disappears and Karlof's body is released from the wall.

"What- how did you do that?" he asks angrily.

I shake my head. "I don't know."

Karlof narrows his eyes at me, grunts, then runs out of my room.

I look down at my hands, that must've been some form of energy. How else would I have been able to do that?

I shake my head to clear my mind. I could worry about that later. I have a Jadeblade. I hurry from my room and out into the halls. Around me, the other contestants battle for a Jade blade, including my brother and Cole. I leave them be and hurry to the arena.

~

"Two Jadeblades remaining," says Clouse.

Suddenly, the door bursts open and Cole comes running in. "Wait! I got one!"

"Cole!" Jay exclaims. "Whoo-hoo! You made it!"

"Where's Kai?" Cole asks.

Kai and Karlof are the only ones who haven't returned, which means it's only one of them that will get to move on. Clouse takes the Jadeblade from Cole and adds it to the pile.

"Only one Jade blade remaining," says Chen.

My heart starts to beat more rapidly as the minutes drag by. My hope that Kai will be the one to walk through the door diminishes with each passing second.

Then the door opens and Karlof walks in.

"Karlof wins!"

Everyone around me starts to cheer. But then Karlof's metal hand falls off.

"Looks like you got a screw loose," says Kai. He picks up the Jadeblade off the ground and uses his fire to fly over to Chen. He puts the Jadeblade with the others and the crowd cheers. I let out a breath and smile.

"We have a loser!" Chen declares excitedly.

"That's not fair!" Karlof protests. "He cheated!"

"I did what I had to do," Kai replies.

"That is not how you win," Dad scolds.

"Fine, I lose," Karlof growls. "Karlof never wanted to be on stinking island."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay," says Chen in a fake sad voice. "I guess this worked out for the best. This is . . . goodbye!"

Chen presses a button on his chair and the floor beneath Karlof opens up, dropping him to whatever is below.

"As you can see," says Chen, "lose and you are out. Break any rule, you are out." Chen pulls Karlof's picture out of the bracket and crushes it. "Never bite the hand that feeds you . . . Master Chen's delicious noodle! Now, you have the rest of today to do as you please, and I suggest you rest up. Tonight, we will have a ball to celebrate your arrival, and tomorrow the tournament will recommence."

~

Most of my day is spent sleeping and the time not spent sleeping is spent dreading the coming ball. Normal girls my age would be jumping with joy, having already experienced events such as homecoming or prom and looking forward to the next, but when you're a famous ninja who's saved the world numerous times, you don't know what to expect and you definitely don't look forward to it. I always imagined the day, however, where I got all dressed up for a dance: Kai would be by my side dressed in a neat suit, pinning a corsage around my wrist, Lloyd would be photobombing every photo we tried to take; and Dad would be threatening Kai every ten seconds, though deep down he'd want me to have fun. I know for a fact that this ball will be nothing like that because Kai and I are not together.

A knock at my door draws me away from my thoughts. I roll out of bed and scurry the door to find Lloyd waiting outside.

"What's up?" I asked, leaning against the doorframe.

"Can I talk to you?"

"Uh, sure, come in," I say, furrowing my eyebrows.

Lloyd slips into my room and sits down on my bed. I shut the door, confused by the intense frown etched across his face.

"I don't like this place," Lloyd says. "There's something going on here that Chen doesn't want us to know."

I roll my eyes. "Of course there's something sinister going on, and I'll bet you ten bucks he's going to try to bring back a dead snake."

Lloyd glares at me. "I'm serious."

"And so am I," I say exasperatedly. "Look, I was once a villain, I know how villains work, Chen is definitely working up some big evil plan. But until we figure out what that plan is, I say we enjoy the festivities."

Lloyd sighs. "Alright. And what are you wearing?"

I roll my eyes and cross my arms over my chest. "It's what I was given. Trust me, I don't like it either."

Lloyd chuckles, shaking his head.

"You should probably go back to your room now," I say. "You don't want Chen finding you sneaking around, or else he might try to kick you out."

Lloyd rolls his eyes. "He's not gonna kick me out for visiting my sister."

"He might if he knew what you came to talk to me about."

"You're annoying."

"That's what big sisters are for."

Lloyd shoves my shoulder playfully and then heads for the door. He pauses on his way out--

"I love you big sis."

"Love you too, little bro."

~
Sorry for the late update! I completely forgot it was Tuesday! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Tasha's powers are developing... what do you think it could mean? Find out next chapter (I have a logical explanation :D). Until next time, Wacky AWAY!

Word Count: 1852