Chapter Sixty-Six

Start from the beginning

He seemed to appreciate her not taking pity as most girls did. Like Lydia did, though he would never admit, he missed her. "I'm deadly serious," he whispered with a playful stare.

"Aspen!"

Ah, my walking headache, Aspen thought as she slowly turned around to see Stiles stampeding down the hallway, his bag literally being dragged behind him. "Hey--"

Stiles didn't let her comprehend what was happening as he spun her around by the shoulders and quickly guided her down the hall. "No time to chat, just walk."

Aspen could do nothing but comply, knowing if she stopped, her face would be intimate with the floor. Her eyes gazed over her shoulder to see Jackson send a short wave. She could barely form a smile before Stiles was pushing her harshly. "Stiles--what happened?"

"What were you and Mr. Testosterone talking about? Your baby shower?" Stiles mused sarcastically as he moved to her side but continued to lead her by her forearm.

Aspen rolled her eyes and clicked her tongue. "Yes, Stiles, and we decided to make you the godfather, congratulations."

Stiles feigned a gasp, earning a smug scrunch of Aspen's nose, and he mocked her right back like a bickering child. "How considerate, I'll teach him all I know."

"That should take you 'bout five minutes, right?"

Stiles resorted to flipping her hair in her face, leaving her to brush it away from her eyes. She still didn't know where Stiles was taking her and let him practically pull her like a mule into the classroom. She took a seat by the closest desk by the back door and Stiles to her left behind Scott.

Stiles beckoned for Aspen to inch closer as he dropped his bag hazardly on the floor, making Scott turn around in his reclined position. "Dude, I just talked to my dad, who just talked to Jackson. And I've got really terrible, horrible, very, very bad news..."

Aspen quirked a brow, lips slightly agape as she waited for Stiles to finish his negative adjectives. It was too anti-climatic for the morning, but she couldn't expect less from him. It was a quick glance. Meaningless. But once she did, there was no mistaking it. Honey brown curly. A leather jacket that hugged him perfectly. And it seemed Scott had already known too as they all stared at the back of his head.

Isaac Lahey was back in Beacon Hills High School.

<•>

How? Why? How, how how...

Questions danced across the crown of Aspen's head like ballerinas sautering every ten seconds, and she felt the onset of a headache already.

"All right, I only found one thing online called the Kanima. It's a werejaguar from South America that goes after murders."

"I didn't know reptiles mutated to cannibalistic mammals," Aspen said, keeping up with Stiles and Scott's long steps.

"That thing was not a jaguar," Scott said, hands gripping his straps, most likely from stress.

Seeing Isaac outside her bedroom was odd. And not in a good way. Hearing his voice answer questions in class was too much. The voice that can make Aspen go from calamity to something akin to a million butterflies fluttering around her stomach. He certainly seemed different, and she wasn't the only one who noticed. His transformation was physically apparent. Broader shoulders, arms, and Aspen wanted to kick herself for staring at those damn hands.