Part 57 The Funeral

Start from the beginning

When the coffin reaches the alter, Mollie, Nathan and I start to take our seats, as the pallbearers take the coffin to the centre of the nave, that's when a pastor comes to the front of the alter "Dear lord, who arc heaven today we are here to honour the life of Levi James Bennett, we thank you for his contribution to the lives of Sally Hollingsworth and Raymond Bennett the mother and father, beloved brother of Raya-Leigh, Lucas and Natalia Bennett, and nephew of Mollie, Richard and Fiona and Julia" says the pastor, Nathan looks to the right and sees my dad sat there with the steeliest look in his eyes and face ever, he nudges me "is that your dad?" whispers Nathan pointing to the roundish, steely faced man "yeah and the sour-faced prune's his missus Sandra" I whisper back "I don't know why the bloody hell they're here as they all contributed to this" I turn back around to the front of the church, Nathan's hand grasped in mine, as I listen to the rest of the words the pastor's got to say "now we are going to get a eulogy from Levi's sister Raya-Leigh Bennett" says the pastor, I get the eulogy out of my handbag and get up to go to the front of the church.

I unfold and press down the paper down that's when I begin the eulogy:

"Good Morning everybody 

This was a eulogy I didn't think I would have been writing until maybe another 50 or 60 years down the line.

Levi Bennett my brother well what can I say? You were the best big brother ever, that doesn't mean we didn't have our difficulties, we came from the most broken of homes but we always had each other and even now in spirit, I will have him.

Levi taught me so many different things, how to cook, how to look out for the ones I care for, what to do when things look they're bleakest and most hopeless of all, Levi was the one who would cheer me on, and made sure I never gave up.

But like most people Levi, Levi had the demons that consumed him until the day he was taken from this sad, painful and incredibly unfair world. Demons aren't always what possess you to the point that you need an exorcism to outride them sometimes you need to reach out your hand to show you care and not stick up the nose, it's okay to cry as I know many tears will be shed today but tears dry, wounds heal and recently I discovered through several months that love can heal the most broken and most damaged people if only it could have healed and saved you that would have been the best miracle of all.

But Levi, wherever your spirit, your energy and whatever path you put me on I will remember your light and let it follow me into the darkest of my days and I, will keep you and your memory alive until the stars rain down from heaven.

Despite all this, I just want to say Levi James Bennett thank you for being my older brother and my gracious guardian angel, sleep well until we meet again."

I look up from the paper and there is a huge round of applause, a guy comes up "do you want the next song to be played?" says the guy "yes" I say as I nod my head, Nathan's there with tears in his eyes but his big, gentle, proud smile as he applauds the gentle piano starts the song "See You Again" Charlie Puth and Wiz Khalifa as I go to sit down, I am overwhelmed by the applause I got, I bow my head and listen to the lyrics of the song. I cry softly as the song gets into the really emotional, tearjerking lyrics but at that moment I know one day I will see Levi again, waiting for me at the pearly gates and that our love for each other will live on forever and that's something I will keep close to me.

As the funeral came to the end, I saw Dad get up along with Sandra, there is no way on earth Dad's going to come over and say anything if Sandra has anything to do with it, I catch them talking "so should I meet you outside?" says Sandra, almost annoyed with my dad "yeah" says my dad, Sandra exits the church, I then catch Sally and Dad look at each other, I watched as the unexpected happened, Dad came over to the pew me, Mollie and Nathan were at "Raya" says Dad "hi dad, thanks for coming" I say "you're welcome love" says Dad, Mollie can't believe her eyes or ears Dad and me talking without wanting to tear strips off each other what the actual hell? "Nathan this is my dad Raymond, Dad this is Nathan" I introduce the pair, Nathan shakes his hand "Nice to meet you, sir," says Nathan "you too son," says Dad, I smile small, that's when Dad looks over his shoulder as does Mollie and Sandra is looking like she'll throw a fit anytime soon "right um... you spoke beautifully Raya" "thanks Dad," I say "well take care of yourself, Raya," says Dad, he kisses me on the forehead before shaking Nathan's hand "you look after her Nathan" "I will sir," says Nathan, that's when Dad turns around and makes his way up to Sandra, her glaring like the Wicked Witch of the West as they walk out of the door, that's when Mollie, Nathan and myself get up "are you staying for the wake?" asks Mollie as we walk out together "I don't think so I mean I would but I think it would make me feel worse," I say "okay darling," says Mollie "as I might as well go and have a drink with our Richard and Fiona as I haven't seen them in a while" I give Mollie a hug "I'll stick around if you want some company Raya" says Nathan "yeah that would be nice" I say "okay then babe" says Nathan and he goes to phone for a taxi.

About a few minutes later a taxi pulls up outside the church, Nathan and I get in it and head back to my house.