Part 47

Raya's POV:

The next day I started my trial run at Inside a Mind and I couldn't believe how brilliantly I was taught little by little with Sarah Morris, James, on the other hand, was brilliant when I was in with clients and would give me feedback of what was good, what needed tweaking and an overall review, as well as that I also got to know the other counsellors Rachel Richards, Sharon Kirkby and Jay Bronson and they all seemed to be the same type of vibe as me which was really good.

Working with the different clients that came in they were really great and getting to know them and knowing that they had someone open, honest and sympathetic made me feel so good, euphoric even that they were being able to talk to me and not get judged and one that I understood the most was a young girl she must have been about 11 years old, had, had a mum and dad that were divorced and she was really heartbroken and in this one young girl I saw myself it was sad and we both opened up a lot in our first session. 

I knew all along deep down that this was the job for me, where everyone was lovely and cared about people's mental health and it did matter what they were going through, I feel amazing now, I'm doing something I've always wanted to do (even if it is just a fortnightly trial run), my family are great and Nathan is just the sweetest, most loving, caring man I have ever been with and to be honest I don't think nothing could pop my little bubble of complete happiness at the moment.

The second week of the trial came around and I was on my own with James just outside the door for the same reasons as before and I was enjoying this trial run so much I didn't want it to end.

On a Thursday evening, things began to go south when I got back in from work, I saw that Mollie had just come off the phone and had a look of pure horror on her face, "auntie Mollie what's wrong?" I say Mollie shakes her head "I've got to go out of town for a bit Raya" says Mollie "why?" I ask "a cousin of mine has hurt their leg and they want me to look after them for a bit," says Mollie "where about's is your cousin at?" I ask "a mile away from the university," says Mollie "oh right give them my best," I say "gotta start getting a bag packed and get off are you going to be okay on your own Raya?" asks Mollie "yeah can't see why not," I say "yeah okay then," says Mollie "but if I get lonely can I have Nathan here just to keep me company," I say "yes sure," says Mollie, she heads upstairs to get her bags packed to see her poorly, cousin.

When Mollie's bag is packed, she comes downstairs, and puts her bag into her small red car "right look after yourself love" says Mollie "I will" I say, Mollie shuts the car door and comes over to me "I worry about you Raya my phone's on I'll text you when I get there" says Mollie "yeah okay then" I say Mollie kisses my forehead and pulls me in for a hug "take care of yourself" says Mollie tearfully she breaks the embrace "I will Auntie Mollie" I say, I watch Mollie as she gets into her car, starts the engine and drives off, the way she just hugged me then was like she was leaving me to head to the other side of the world and to be honest I think I'd be more worried about her than myself, I sigh and walk into the house.

Whilst I'm in the house, I head upstairs to take a bath, dreading the fact that tomorrow is my final day of the trial run, I think as I lie in the bath I'll write them a letter of thanks as I know full fact this run might not lead to anything permanent but you have a tiny hope that you do get the job.

After the bath I put my pyjamas on a pair of fluffy pyjama bottoms and a tank top, take a walk over to my laptop and begin writing a letter, I type:

Dear Inside A Mind

Just a letter to say thank you so much for the opportunity to have a trial run at Inside a Mind it has been a really rewarding and pleasurable experience which I hope it has been the same for you to have me working alongside yourselves.

I have enjoyed every moment of the job and I hope I have done enough to prove myself to the company, I have really enjoyed getting to know the rest of the counsellors I could be working alongside, I have enjoyed the company of the clients I have had the pleasure of meeting.

Once again I just want to say thank you to Jenny Baker and Eleanor Grayson for giving me the opportunity and to all the staff at Inside a Mind.

Yours sincerely 

Raya-Leigh Bennett.

I start to print out the letter using auntie Mollie's printer downstairs, I wait until I hear that final noise the printer makes when the letter is all the way done printing, I fold the letter in half ready to give to Eleanor or Jenny in the morning.