Chapter 29

Antonio's POV

My eyes watched Alexandra as they placed her into the bed in her new room. I could finally be in the same room as her and feel her skin against mine. 

The doctors explained that she survived the worst so far, but she wasn't out of the woods yet. 

Niccolas our personal doctor had finally arrived and he was now in charge of Alexandra's health while she was in this hospital. No one was allowed to touch or go near her without his approval, but would also need mine.

She had tubes coming out from her nose and a bunch of fluids and different antibiotics being pumped into her small body.

It pained me to look at her, her limp body just laying there, looking barely alive. It should be me in her place right now, that bullet was meant for me. But she made that decision for the both of us and it enraged me. 

How could she be so stupid as to put herself between a bullet.

"Goddamnit Alexandra" I stood up from my seat. "You should have let me rot in there." It was so silent in here that my voice even echoed throughout the hallways. "It was my decision to make" I walked towards her but my eyes didn't land on her.

"Non posso perderti" my voice cracked. (I can't lose you) "I'm sorry for turning my back on you so fast." I continued to speak so I didn't have to hear the painful silence. "I just couldn't imagine you being in this lifestyle, in such a dangerous world that no one can escape from." 

"If you don't want me in your life, I will respect that. I just need to know that you're ok." I got down on my knees and held her hand in mine, feeling like I was holding on to my lifeline. "Per favore" my voice was now barely above a whisper. (Please)

I kissed her hand and just kneeled there, looking at her and taking in every detail. Although she was attached to so many tubes, she still looked beautiful. So pure, yet so evil. 

I lifted one of my hands up and ran my fingers in her long dirty blonde hair. I just needed to feel her. I inhaled her scent which quickly calmed down all of my worries and problems. 

Why did I ever let you go quello piccolo... (little one)

I turned my head towards the door when I heard footsteps to see Leonard holding Amelio. I nod at him as a curtesy of respect and he does the same. He makes his way towards Alexandra and gently places Amelio down beside her. 

He scanned his sister and flopped down on top of her, engulfing her into a huge embrace. "How is she..." Pedro stood at the door but didn't dare to come in.

"Come see for yourself" Leonard spoke but Pedro didn't move. "Pedro she could use you right now, your like a brother to her, your family." Leonard tried to convince Pedro but it was no use. "She's alive" I said to Pedro and he nodded before taking his seat outside of her room.

"You should really get some sleep and eat some food, aswell as a shower." Aspen walked into the room. "I allowed a doctor to look at me, don't push it." I warned her and she quickly backed down. "You do stink dude, at least Alexandra had the decency to shower while you were taken." Leonard picked up where Aspen left off. 

"How was she while I was taken?" I asked, completely ignoring Leonard's comment. "Terrifying and tough" Leonard replied, "she didn't sleep and barely ate which made her even more dangerous. I have never seen her so... scared." He continued to explain to me. "She was a disaster is the correct vocabulary. Anyways, we have said enough." Aspen walks over to Amelio and picks him up. "She may tell you more once she wakes up" she cracks a smile and leaves with the boy in her arms. 

"When everyone lost hope, she was the only person who never lost it." Leonard said one last thing and left the room, leaving me in the dreadful silence so my thoughts could swallow me.

...

After being swarmed with so many thoughts last night, I had came to a conclusion.

Alexandra's situation didn't change, she was still unconscious but breathing which was always a good sign.

I knew I would probably regret my decision but it had to be made. Alexandra was my vulnerability and in this business, you cant have one. So I'm taking myself out of the equation, I'm making her safer.

I had already contacted my uncle to come to Mexico and get me. He didn't put up a fuss considering he hadn't seen me since I left for the engagement party over a week ago. He had apologized for not being here to help with the search but I understood that he had to run the mafia back home until one of us got back. 

I didn't inform any of my siblings or my parents of my departure and it was for the better, since I knew they would try to convince me to stay. 

I was now spending my last few minutes with Alexandra before my uncle called me telling me that the car was out front.

I took her hand in mine and gently squeezed it, knowing that these were gonna be the last times I felt her skin on mine. I took every single detail of her face and implanted it into my brain, making sure I never forget her beauty. I'm sorry Alex. I stepped closer to her and bent down, planting a kiss on her forehead. "You will always have the Italian mafia indebted to you, and I will make sure of that as long as I live." I whisper into her ear. "Stay alive" my voice says just above a whisper.

On queue, my phone rings and I look at the caller ID to see my uncle's name pop up. I answer it and quickly tell him I'm coming. I take a deep breathe and let go of Alexandra's hand, making my way to the door. I turn around and take in her features one last time. 

I hesitate for a second but think to myself that its the right decision. I walk out of her room quietly, making sure not to wake up Pedro and some of the others that stayed the night. I walk down the hall and make my way out of the front entrance towards my uncle who is smiling brightly at me.

He engulfs me into a hug and I return the gesture. "Andiamo a casa" He says as he pulls away from the hug. (Let's go home)

Fuck you Antonio, fuck you. Vote and comment.