Chapter 3 ~ The Road Trip

Start from the beginning

Raising an eyebrow in suspicion, I glanced around the room anxiously. "Bonnie?" I questioned the empty space. No answer. I sighed. "Bonnie, if that's really you, then you need to know I can't do this. How am I supposed to break a sire-bond when I'm being stalked by a sociopath every day?"

All of a sudden, my journal flew out of the bookcase and landed on the floor, opened onto the very last page. I made my way over to it, gasping as I read the new message:

'You can. I believe in you.'

So simple, yet so effective. I hugged the book against my chest, tears forming in my eyes. Someone actually believed in me. Who needed family? My best friend had faith in me, and that's all that mattered. I knew what I had to do.

"Thank you," I whispered, smiling softly to myself.

A woman with a new-found sense of purpose, I hurried to get dressed - in the bathroom, just in case there were still any lingering witches around - and bounded down the staircase, rushing out the door as fast as my feet would take me. I ran the whole way to the store, not wanting to waste a single moment. The longer I took breaking this sire-bond, the longer I would be away from home. I grabbed some chains from the Hardware Section and a blanket from the Home Section. I almost skipped the rest of the way into the woods.

Chaining myself up against the strongest-looking tree, I sat on the ground, the spring-time sun beating down on me. I wasn't used to turning in broad daylight, but I wasn't in any position to be picky with my transformation time. I eyed the plaid blanket on the dirt a few metres away from me, taking a deep breath. Tyler told me how he broke his sire-bond with Klaus. I just had to do the same.

So I started to turn.

Excruciating pain burned through my body as I broke every bone over and over again. I screamed out in agony as my shoulder snapped into a position it wasn't naturally meant to be, a low growl rumbling in my chest as I did everything I could to fight through it. After a few more unbearable minutes, I finally made it. Blacking out, I became the wolf.

I woke up some time later - hours or days, I couldn't tell - to find myself completely naked, covered in dirt and sweat. And thankfully, still chained to the tree. I looked at up the sky, still daytime but a little darker than what it had been before I passed out.

How many times would I have to do this? One was always hard enough. The thought of putting myself through that pain again made me sick to my stomach, but I didn't have a choice. This was my only way to get home.

Gritting my teeth, I forced myself to transform once again. The forest was dead silent, save for my harrowing cries that could barely be heard above the snapping of my bones. Panting, I had to stop for a few seconds, completely exhausted.

"I can't do this," I sobbed, my body hunched over as I battled with the beast inside of me.

'You can. I believe in you.'

Bonnie's words echoed in my tormented mind like the voice of an angel, pushing me on just as I felt like giving up.

Yelling out one last battle cry, I gripped the wolf by her throat and dragged her out into the open, both of us kicking and screaming the whole while.

For what felt like the two-hundredth time this week, I succumbed to darkness.

***

I don't know how long I was out for the second time. When I woke up, it was bright sunshine once more, possibly early morning? I guess I'd missed the whole night.

Glancing around at my surroundings, I was grateful to see that the chains had survived another transformation. I really had picked the strongest tree, huh?