Chapter 4: Dance Along the Light of Day

Start from the beginning

"Piece of cake."

They finished breakfast, keeping the conversation light. While Seiya skillfully cleared the table and washed the dishes by hand, Usagi settled in the living room to nurse Chibi-Usa.

"She's all yours," Usagi said when she handed the six-month-old over. Chibi-Usa waved her little hands excitedly, immediately yanking on Seiya's ponytail.

"Hey there! You and I are going to have some fun while Mama gets ready! How about we play with your little toy kitchen?" Seiya spoke to the baby as if she had been doing it every day, hoping Usagi wouldn't notice her limited experience with children.

Seiya sat on the floor beside Chibi-Usa and offered her a toy banana. The living room was adorned with scattered play food, and Chibi-Usa was quick to reach out for them. When the broccoli seemed out of her grasp, she started fussing.

"No, no, it's okay, see?"

Chibi-Usa peered at her with wide eyes. She is cute, Seiya thought.

The initial struggle of changing a diaper for the first time and dealing with spit-up on her pajamas became a distant memory as Usagi emerged from the bathroom half an hour later. Her hair was blow-dried and styled into the familiar, tidier bun-head style that Seiya always remembered. She even wore a touch of makeup and from across the room, Seiya could smell delectable vanilla body spray.

"Well, is this okay?" Usagi spun in a quick circle, her purple, long-sleeved dress flaring at the edges to reveal her gray leggings underneath. She tugged at her cream-colored scarf.

Seiya stopped wiping the spit-up off herself. What she thought was a long-forgotten feeling of longing and desire bubbled to the surface. She cleared her throat, knowing she was blushing.

"Perfect," she told her, hesitant about her word choice.

"I wish you'd tell me what's going on." Usagi huffed. She pulled on a loose thread of her sleeve.

"That'd spoil the fun."

Drawing closer, Usagi opened her arms. "C'mere, Chibi-Usa. Were you a good girl?"

Chibi-Usa babbled, waving around a teether wildly.

Seiya smiled. "She was just fine."

Just then, the doorbell rang. Seiya glanced at the clock. "Right on time," she declared, getting to her feet.

A look of puzzlement crossed Usagi's face. She picked up her daughter and crossed the room breezily. She opened the door, shocked to find Rei, Ami, and Taiki standing in the hall, bundled up in coats and winter hats. Luna popped her head up from Ami's arms.

"Surprise!" Rei cheered. "Are you ready for a girls' day? Ami's got the itinerary. Massages, mani-pedis, and of course some retail therapy."

Usagi's eyes lit up. "Rei! Ami! Taiki! What's this all about?" she squealed.

"Well," said Luna, "Seiya called and said you could use a little break. I thought it would be nice too, it's been a while since we've gotten together, Usagi."

"Seiya!" Usagi mock-frowned at her, unable to hide the joy on her face.

"Guilty," Seiya confessed with a playful shrug.  She joined the group in the entryway.

"I've booked us lunch at Mako's restaurant," Ami added. "Unfortunately, Mako couldn't get off work last minute, but I thought it would be nice to see her there, even if only for a short while."

"Oh, that sounds amazing!" Usagi told them while pulling Chibi-Usa's sticky fingers away from her earrings. "But what about Chibi-Usa?"

"We'll be dropping her off at grandma's house on our way to our massage appointments," said Rei.