Scared for... Scared of

Silence ran through the barn in the early hours of the morning as the young adults slept. The sky was light blue but the moon and stars were still in sight. Distant growls could be heard outside the damp, wooden walls, coming from the dead stumbling around poignantly in the icy temperatures. 

The only person awake inside the barn was Yoongi. He laid with his head resting on his hand as he listened to the noises outside. His eyelids fluttered every few seconds, indicating that his body was ready to sleep but his dizzy trail of thoughts wouldn't let him.

The words of the conversation he had with Seokjin spun around in his mind. They had brought up too many emotions and memories, new and old, for Yoongi to handle. Instead of laying and stressfully ruminating on them, though, he quietly pushed himself up off the floor and to his feet. He carefully stepped over his still sleeping boyfriend, glanced over to Seokjin who was also sleeping nearby and exited the room. 

He saw Taehyung and Jungkook on one side of the main room, fast asleep. Taehyung had his arms wrapped around Jungkook like a pillow. Yoongi thought it was sweet and smiled to himself. Jungkook had left Lisa with Jisoo, so they could rest.

Rosé and Jennie were cuddled up to each other as well, they seemed really peaceful in their slumber. Yoongi couldn't help but envy them. Namjoon and Hoseok were on the other side of the room, also fast asleep, with their heads on each other's shoulders. Yoongi didn't miss the dark purple bruise forming along Namjoon's jaw and he sighed, pitifully. 

His eyes trailed around the room, taking in his surroundings as he wondered what to do to kill time until the others awakened, giving up on the idea of sleep entirely. He smiled, unenthusiastically, at what was around him, taking a quick glance out the window to check their safety; that was until his eyes landed on a shelf a little further up from the rest of them, that were lining the walls. 

Most of the shelves had cans of out of date food on them or little boxes and packets of snacks. The one that caught Yoongi's eye, however, held one single item. 

A small, glittering, glass bottle. 

Am I tall enough to reach the bottle without making any noise? Yoongi thought to himself, as he walked over, making sure not to wake anyone up. 

After taking a moment to consider his own question, Yoongi stood up on his tiptoes and reached his hand out to the bottle. He felt the glass brush against his fingertips and reached up a little further. He strained as his long fingers stretched up. It took a couple of tries but, in the end, he managed to wrap his hand around the neck of the bottle and pull it down. 

Yoongi scanned the label, trying to work out what was inside the green glass.

Whiskey. 

Nice, he thought to himself. At least he might be able to get a bit of sleep now. A shimmer of hope rose in him as he held the bottle close to his chest and he crept back out of the room, retreating back to the makeshift bed in the other room. 

Seokjin was still sleeping soundly, in the corner, as Yoongi walked into the room. He quietly slumped, laying down next to Jimin and smiled, before opening the bottle. He thought himself lucky as the lid twisted off. 

Lucky to have such an amazing man he could call his and... Lucky the bottle was a screw cap.

He took a swig of the harsh drink, wincing as the liquid scorched his throat. 

How long had that bottle been sat there? 

After a few big mouthfuls, Yoongi felt his mind relax. His body drifted, and his eyes closed. For the first time, in a long time, Yoongi felt calm. Like he used to before the world stopped turning properly. Now he could feel the world turning, at the perfect rhythm. It was either that or the whiskey had gone bad.