Small Cold Part Two -Nick/Sapnap

Nick/Sapnap

Part two requested by @Sarah_bernalt123 !

It's been two days since you found out about your lung cancer. You have a doctor's appointment today to find out more about what's going on and discuss treatment plans. All you know is you have two small lumps in the bottom lobe of your right lung.

"Y/n, are you ready to go?" Nick kissed your forehead.

"Yeah." You answered quietly. Your face was stained with two days worth of tears and the pain in your chest increased within the last few days.

Nick held you close for a few minutes before you headed out to the car. You both had to wake up early that morning and you didn't sleep well. Endless amounts of thoughts raced through your mind ever since you found out.

"It'll be alright, honey. We will do this together." Nick whispered and kissed you once more. You nodded and grabbed the car keys. You handed them to him and went out to the car.

The whole drive was mostly silence with only a few coughing fits here and there. You held Nick's hand the entire ride and went through different scenarios through your head of what might happen.

"We spoke only a little bit about what is going on over the phone, but we need to discuss further." The doctor sat down in a rolling chair after putting a few papers in a manilla folder. "Your x-ray shows two small masses in the bottom lobe of your right lung. They are on the smaller scale of tumors, but we are not sure about the severity."

Nick had one arm around your waist and the other was holding your hand. He tried to make you as comfortable as possible. The both of you had a few tears running down your faces while hearing the updates.

"What do- what does that mean?" You asked quietly wiping your face.

"You have two masses in your right lung that have been there for quiet some time. Symptoms don't usually appear until the cancer is in more advanced stages. From my best judgement, we caught it as early as we could have, but it could become more dangerous. We want to do what we can now."

"Now what?" Nick questioned adjusting his position and holding you tighter.

"I believe the next step to take is to discuss treatment options. Chemotherapy is the most common type of treatment, but it's not the best for your situation. Physical removal of the tumors would be most efficient and effective." The doctor crossed his legs and rested both his hands on his knee. "I understand if you need time to think about it and I will be here to answer any and all questions you may have."

The three of you talked through each option and their side effects, risks, and benefits. Each treatment came with a long list of risks and side effects, but each ended in being cancer free. The cancer didn't seem to be too aggressive, but was in a very sensitive spot.

The final decision was to go through surgery and physically remove the tumors. It was going to be quick and the tumors would be completely gone. The biggest risk of surgery would be if the tumors weren't solid and fall apart. This would result in some of your lung being removed as well, which isn't plausible because you are still young.

"So if we chose to do the surgery," You cleared your throat, "You would just go in and remove the masses?"

"Basically, yes. We would do what is called a Wedge Resection, which is a small triangle shaped piece of your lung being cut open and the tumors removed. Because each of the tumors are small and less then four centimetres each, this type of surgery would be easiest."

Your surgery was scheduled for three days after your doctor's appointment. You wanted to be done and over with it as soon as possible, but even after the surgery, you knew the battle wouldn't be over. Something could go wrong with the surgery, the tumors could grow back, the tumors could fall apart and can't be removed, etc.