New Milo - Wilbur Soot

Wilbur Soot

*Some mature language*

You and Wilbur have been together for a little over a year now and he has had the worst luck with small pets, especially fish. Every time he would buy a fish, it would die within two weeks. Wilbur soon gave up on pets and deemed himself as the worse pet owner to ever live.

You were sitting on the couch when you heard Wilbur yell some colorful words then call for you. You quickly stood up and went to the bedroom where Wilbur was. He was standing over by the window where his small goldfish's, Barnaby, bowl was.

Wilbur had brought Barnaby home about a week ago after you teased him about owning pets. Though you were only joking, he was set on proving you wrong.

"Wilbur?" You entered the bedroom and walked toward him. "What's wrong?"

"I think Barnaby is dead." He sighed as you hugged him from behind. You peered over to the bowl and the fish was floating upside-down at the surface of the water.

"Awe, Will, I'm so sorry." You hugged him tighter. Wilbur turned around and put his arms around you. You hugged him for a little longer and he sighed once more.

"Why do they always fucking die on me, y/n?" Wilbur picked up the bowl. You could tell he was very upset, but he was more angry than sad. "All my life, my pets have died."

"Well, I mean everything will die sooner or lat-"

"No, I mean they die very quickly. As a child, I bought a hamster and he died a week later. My mother felt awful, so she let me buy a new one and that one died a little over two weeks later. Not to mention, we've had like seven fish. I've always been a terrible pet owner and I always will be."

"Don't say that. You're not a terrible pet owner." You followed Wilbur into the bathroom and he flushed Barnaby.

"Either something is wrong with the animals or I'm just a fucking dumbass." He poured the water out of the bowl into the sink.

"Wilbur. You're not a dumbass. Please stop saying that. We can work something out or find out what's going on with the animals." You leaned up against the sink counter and watched the water swirl down the drain.

"Can we get another fish?" He looked at with with tears forming in his eyes.

"Of course we can." You kissed him and gave him another hug.

Before you even arrived at the local pet store, Wilbur had already picked out a name for his new fish.

"Milo. That's what I'm going to call him." He put the car in park and unbuckled his seat belt.

"I like it." You got out of the car and went over to Wilbur. You held his hand and walked into the pet store. The two of you headed over to the fish and began looking through the different types.

After a few minutes of looking, Wilbur picked out a red and white beta fish. He picked out a small decorative guitar piece for the fish bowl as well. You held onto Milo as Wilbur paid for the fish and new decoration. He looked like a very healthy fish, so you had high hopes for him.

The cashier told Wilbur to keep his receipt just in case the fish dies too quickly. He laughed and thanked them. After you got to the car, Wilbur sighed and looked closer at Milo.

"Alright little guy, please don't die on me, please." He handed the fish to you and you held him all the way home.

Once you reached the house, you helped Wilbur clean out the fish bowl and make it nice for Milo. After setting up, Milo was placed near the bedroom window.

"I'm sure Milo will be just fine." You kissed Wilbur and rubbed his back as he watched Milo swim around.

"I hope so." He responded.

The next morning you woke up to Wilbur lightly shaking you calling your name.

"Yeah?" You mumbled with your eyes still closed. You adjusted your position and got comfortable.

"Honey, I need to run to the market very quickly, I won't be long." He gave you a kiss on your forehead.

"Okay, baby. How's Milo?"

"He's still kicking." Wilbur chuckled a little bit. "I just fed him. I'm going to go, I love you."

"I love you too."

You weren't able to fall back asleep, so you just got out of bed and went to the kitchen for a cup of coffee. While it was brewing, you went back to the bedroom to get clothes for the day. As you approached Milo's bowl, you stopped to watch him for a few seconds.

After a bit, you realized he was no longer moving and some fish food was still floating around the top. Your heart began to race as you tapped on the bowl near Milo and he didn't move. You grabbed a pen and stuck in the water to give Milo a soft push. You pushed him with the pen and he floated to the top and remained upside-down.

"Fuck!" You shouted as you threw the pen down. "Dammit, Milo!" You gave him a poke to make sure he wasn't sleeping, though you knew he was dead. "How?"

You quickly got dressed and put shoes on as you decided to buy a new Milo before Wilbur got home. You grabbed Milo's bowl and the receipt from the day before. After hopping in the car,  you buckled in the fish bowl and headed to the pet store.

"I need a new Milo." You were out of breath as you set the bowl and receipt on the cashier's counter at the pet store. "My boyfriend and I were here yesterday and he got a new fish and he's dead already and he's going to be very upset because this is fish like number eight and I don't know why they keep dying an-" You stopped and took a deep breath. "I need a new beta fish that looks exactly like this one, please."

The cashier understood and helped you find a new fish that looked exactly like Milo. Once you looked through all the options, you found a red and white fish that looked very similar, but had a few different features you hoped Wilbur wouldn't notice. You exchanged the dead fish more new Milo and sped home wishing Wilbur wasn't already there.

You let out a sigh of relief as you pulled into the driveway and Wilbur's car wasn't there. You grabbed New Milo and ran inside. Rushing into the bedroom, you put the fish in the bowl and quickly threw away any signs of your trip to the pet store. As soon as you threw away the new receipt, Wilbur walked through the front door with a few bags in his hands.

"Hey, baby." You smiled as your heart began to pound again. You hoped he wouldn't find out.

"Hey, honey. What you been up to?" He set the bags on the table and began to take out the items.

"Just made some coffee." You reached for the cold cup of coffee you forgot that you brewed earlier. You took a sip and held back your disgusted reaction to the cold coffee. You set the cup down and helped Wilbur put away the groceries.

"Milo doing okay?" He asked and gave you a kiss.

"Yes. He's doing great." You began to grow more nervous as Wilbur made his way to the bedroom to see Milo.

"Hiya, buddy!" He bent down and watched him swim around for a few seconds. "I think he's liking his new home."

"Me too. I'm sure he'll do great." You let out a quiet sigh of relief when Wilbur didn't notice anything different.

You and Wilbur both were convinced New Milo would live a long life.
_______________________________
Hi! Thank you all so much for almost 2k reads! Unbelievable!
-Val 💕