Part 13 (S2)

"Shall we begin?" Queen Usurna asked as Jim's cage was lowered before the Tribunal, stopping just above our heads. "The Trollhunter is on trial for choosing to go into the Darklands, allowing the release of Gunmar the Black." The woman suddenly stood and pointed at the boy. "James Lake Jr. has admitted full responsibility for his actions. What say you of the charges?"
"We'll fight the charge!" Blinky answered loudly.
"Once convicted, the Trollhunter will be sentenced to exile in the Deep." She continued.
"What's the Deep?" Toby asked.
"A place of unknown madness," Blinky replied, "No one knows what resides at the bottom of the Deep, because no troll has ever returned from it." We all gasped.
"What do I do?" Jim asked, clutching the bars on his cage.
"Shall we begin?" Usurna questioned angrily.
"One moment, if you please," Blinkous turned to Jim, "you cannot fight these allegations."
"I have to," the trollhunter stated. "Merlin visited me in a.. sort of dream, and he wants me to fight."
"Merlin?" I asked.
"Visited.. in a 'sort of dream'?" The four armed troll stopped, laughed, then turned back. "I believe you!"
"What?" I furrowed my brows.
"Really?" Jim asked.
"I believe you've finally cracked!"  Blinky continued.
"So much for having you represent me.." Jim sighed.
"Unfortunately, Trollhunter, Troll Law states that the accused may only be represented by his own tribe," Vendel informed. I sighed, looking up at Jim. His attention was on the Tribunal.
"But these children don't know the slightest about Troll Law!" Blinkous protested, scooping us humans up in his arms and pulling us back.
"Be that as it may, the rules are quite clear on this matter," Usurna said smugly. "Only a human may speak for the accused!"
"Give us a minute to talk it over?" Jim requested.
"Hmm.. Very well.." The woman growled. My friends and I turned to the trollhunter.
"You're handling this ten times better than I would," I told him.
"Thanks. Okay.. we can do this.. Claire?"
I wish none of this was happening.. I don't remember the last time we spent any quality time. I mean, I do, but it was a long time ago.. Not to mention the fact that we just had a fight not too long ago.
"Nah-uh. I don't know anything about law." Claire stated, "let alone Troll Law."
"(Y/n)?" Jim turned to me.
"I mean, I could try, but I really don't understand how I'm supposed to give evidence without accusing Usurna and Gatto, and I'm sure they won't be too thrilled over that.." I looked back at the Tribunal as I said this.
"It's not as hard as it looks," Toby cut in, "all you gotta do is walk around like you own the place and throw around fancy words like, subpoena! Hearsay! Redirect!" He added in a Southern accent while saying this, "res ipsa loquitur! Nolo contendere!"
"Really, Tobes?" I chuckled.
"Fancy," Aaarrrgghh replied happily.
"How did that metal mouth of yours just manage to garble out all those exquisite words?" Blinky asked in shock. I laughed out loud.
"Toby do you even know what you just said?" I inquired, still laughing.
"Nope!" He announced, "But, I've watched every episode of Mistrial and Error with my nana. Also, Mistrial and Error: New Orleans, Mistrial and Error: Jury Duty, oh! And Mistrial and Error: Try, Try Again."
"Your time is up," Usurna snapped. "Have you made a decision on who will represent you?"
"We have," Jim answered, "Toby Domzalski."
"What?!" I whispered. "You're risking your life on him spewing random words that he's heard on TV?!"
"We have to," Jim whispered back, "he's our best shot."
"Enough of your side conversations!" The Queen shouted, "the Tribunal will permit a short recess to allow Mr. Domzalski to prepare his case." Toby laughed, stepping forward.
"And by short, you mean a month, right?"
"You can do this, Tobes," Jim whispered.
"And as your counsel, I advise you that this is a terrible idea!" Toby shot back.
"But not our worst. Right?"
"No, it's worst.." Aaarrrgghh replied. I sighed, looking back up at Jim.

"You'll need this book, also this one. And, yes, especially that one..." Blinky was piling books into Toby's arms for the library. I wasn't paying attention.
How the hell are we supposed to win this case? God dammit! The one person I fall for, I can't have! Why?! Am I not good enough? Like, what the fuck am I supposed to do?! I don't know what I'm gonna do! I became depressed even when I knew he was still alive! How the hell am I supposed to deal with his death?!
"Toby!" I suddenly yelled, startling everyone.
"What?!" He yelled back.
"How the hell are you going to win this case?!"
"Easy! Gunmar told Jim he has a spy in Trollmarket, right?"
"What?! When?!" I screamed.
"When Draal attacked Jim--"
"Draal attacked Jim?!"
"Ah, well, it seems you've missed a lot, (Y/n), and there's no time to focus on that right now," Blinky cut in. "Now, could that argument actually work?"
"Definitely," answered Tobias, "it's like that episode of Mistrial and Error: Swamp Law, where Detective Jim Belaya discovered evidence that gator people were just as responsible for the murder."
"What?" I growled, "Toby, the only person that I've ever liked or payed attention to is about to be killed, and you're basing all your evidence off of a TV show! A fictional one at that! Tobes, I need you to win this case! If Jim dies--" I cut myself off, looking down. "If Jim dies.. I don't know what's going to happen... It can't be good. All I know is that I don't trust Usurna."
"Agreed," Blinky began, "but we can be sure of one thing. Tobias will stall for time while Claire and I root out Gunmar's agent."
"I definitely like the 'more time' part!" Toby announced.
"And me?" Aaarrrgghh asked.
"Co-counsel, of course," Blinky responded.
"What about me?" I growled.
"I do not know, (Y/n), but you need to calm down."
"Yeah, dude, take a chill pill," Toby chirped.
"How are you all so calm about this?!" I blurted, "am I the only sane one here?! I sure as hell can't be the insane one in this situation! Jim is literally going to die!" My eyes were wide, brows furrowed, hands out.
"You know, it might just be easier to prove that gator people let Gunmar out.." Toby said with a sigh.
"No!"
"Oh my god, (Y/n)! Settle down! He's gonna be fine!" Claire shouted. Everyone cleared out, leaving me alone in the library. I began pacing after a few minutes.
Well, normally, I would talk to Draal. But can I do that? No! I'm so pissed at them right now! How can they do this to Jim?! It's like they don't even care!
I sat down, crossing my arms. A few moments later, there was an explosion.
What the fuck?
"My boutique!" Some guy yelled. I couldn't contain my laughter.
Maybe I am the insane one..
I sat in silence, pulling myself back to reality, remembering all of the memories I had with Jim.