Chapter 55 Resolve

"My parents were from the capital city, but I was born in Jiangzhou, so I suppose I'm from Jiangzhou!" said Qu Le hesitantly.

"Why did your parents relocate to Jiangzhou then?" asked Qin Wanru, with a flash of light across her eyes.

"I think they moved here... following their master. My parents were supposed children born to servants in an influential family in the capital city. Later on, they were separated from their master somehow and so ended up in Jiangzhou. They didn't dare to return to the capital city they lost their master."

Qu Le blurted out everything she knew even though her father had given her instructions not to reveal certain things. She was not planning to return home because she knew she would be sold as a slave anyways. It seemed to her that her mistress right in front of her was a kind girl, who was able to protect her even in a precarious circumstance a moment ago.

What a strange thing to have happened! However, this had nothing to do with her.

"Do you know my elder sister?" said Qin Wanru, who tried to change the topic as she remembered Qin Yuru's reflection yesterday.

"No, I don't know her," replied Qu Le, shaking her head as she continued, "Yesterday was the first time I met Elder Miss Qin."

"Then why did she target you?" asked Qin Wanru, looking intently at Qu Le.

"I... I don't know too," Qu Le was so fearful that she started weeping and continued, "I've never met Elder Miss Qin, but I've met Qing Xue. I heard that she was working in the General's Mansion.

"Qing Xue?" asked Qin Wanru, batting her lashes.

"Yes, it's Qing Xue. Qing Xue's family and I lived in the same village. Qing Yue and I used to play together when we were younger, but later on, we heard that Qing Xue was sold to the General's Mansion. However, I saw her again yesterday and heard that she was just sold to the General's Mansion, but wasn't she already working for the General's Mansion?"

Qu Le said while wiping away her tears. She had recognized Qing Xue the day before but did not dare to say it. Now that Qin Wanru asked about it so she answered honestly to her question.

She was aware that the Madam, as well as Eldest Miss Qin in this house, were not pleased with her. If she were to offend the Second Miss Qin, She would definitely end up being sold again.

Qin Wanru turned to look at Nanny Yu, who shook her head after a moment of pondering and with certainty, she said, "Miss, I've not seen Qing Xue before."

Qing Xue was quite an outstanding maid. It was unlikely that Nanny Yu did not notice her if she had been working in the General's Mansion. She truly could not recall seeing her as a maid in the mansion.

"Do you want to ask her?" suggested Nanny Yu.

Qin Wanru shook her head and turned her eyes back to Qu Le, saying, "Qu Le, since I'm the who saved you, I can also sell you away. If you remain loyal to me from henceforth, you can be assured that nothing will happen to you. However, if I find out that you are double-minded, you know what the consequence will be!"

"Yes, I know. Rest assured, Miss, I will remain faithful to you will never betray you!" said a clever Qu Le, wiping her tears as she pledged her loyalty. "I will find out about Qing Xue and report to you, Miss," continued Qing Yue.

She overheard the conversation between Nanny Yu and Qin Wanru earlier on and was aware that Second Miss Qin was interested in the things concerning Qing Xue, so she raised this issue to Qin Wanru straight away.

Nodding, Qin Wanru said, "Go and wash up. Try not to go out of this courtyard in the coming few days."

"Yes, I will," replied Qu Le. She had been so scared, so when Qin Wanru told her to excuse herself, she breathed a sigh of relief, sit up in her kneeling position and gave Qin Wanru and bow, before she left the room in a respectful manner.