Chapter 53 This Time She Would Not Give In

"What happened?" asked Qin Wanru without even looking up.

"They said Qu Le bumped into Elder Miss Qin's maid when she was out running errands. Her maid gave Qu Le two tight slaps and Qu Le could not swallow it and fought back, that's when they started fighting. For this reason, Mrs. Qin had taken both of them away!" said Nanny Yu, looking displeased, not so much because the maids got into a fight, but rather, that somehow Mrs. Qin was involved in this matter.

Qin Yuru's maid? Qin Wanru had observed Qin Yuru's interest in Qu Le yesterday. She did not expect Qin Yuru to have thought of a plan to lay hold of Qu Le so quickly.

It would appear that Qin Yuru and Mrs. Qin was really quite interested in Qu Le.

She was merely a common maid and Qin Wanru did not think she was especially important if not for her memory of her previous life. Given that Mrs. Qin was trying to intervene, it looked like this was no ordinary maid and she had to be someone more important than what she imagined.

"Miss, Madam had asked for you. She wants to speak to you about the two maids who got into the fight," said Qin Yue, who just entered and looking worried. The mood of all the people in Qin Wanru's courtyard was weighed down when they had to deal with people from Mrs. Qin.

Her obedience was expected as a show of her filial piety.

"Tell her I've fallen ill and cannot make the trip at this moment!" Qin Wanru said softly and quietly as she took a sip of her tea.

"Will... will that do?" asked Qin Yue anxiously.

"No worries. She won't say anything at this time!" What can Mrs. Qin do even if she became suspicious of her excuse? She would not dare to touch Qin Wanru given that she had caused so much trouble for herself.

After hearing the reassuring words of Qin Wanru, Qing Yue felt more relieved and went out to pass Qin Wanru's message to the maid sent by Mrs. Qin.

When Qing Yue returned to the room, Qin Wanru led her into the inner chamber where Qin Wanru took off her outer layer of clothing and let down her hair. She brought a mirror to her face as she observed herself in it. She observed that her brilliantly colored lips were really too bright, and she definitely looked healthy.

An eleven-year-old little girl with transparent complexion, and such bright-red lips, together with her delicate features. No way did she look like she was ill.

"Bring me some powder."

Qing Yue went over to the dressing table to fetch a some a box of powder and carefully applied some on Qin Wanru's face, which made her look pale but gaunt at the same time. As for her lips, Qin Wanru did not deliberately try to hide it's brilliance since she had always had a brighter lip color than the others.

Just when she was about done with making up, Nanny Yu entered to inform her, saying, "Second Miss, Madam is here to see you!"

She was fast!

Qin Wanru laughed in her heart. She leaned back onto a cushion Qing Yue put at her back, pretending to look frail and drained of energy.

This was what Mrs. Qin saw when she entered Qin Wanru's room, a frail-looking little girl leaning back for support, with bright-red lips but a face drained of a healthy glow. In fact, her complexion seemed a little jaundiced. Had she really fallen ill?

"Weren't you still okay when you were at Old Grandma's, Wanru? How did you become so ill so suddenly? It must be because the maids did not take care of you well."

Mrs. Qin entered the room, wearing a worried expression on her face. She was trying to sound concerned but was actually harboring something malicious.