17

POV change

You sat leaning on Raphs arm in the living room when he sighed.

"What's wrong Raph?" It took him a minute to find the right words "I just want to know how your dad died. You always say he died when you were little, but never say how." You sighed and sat up "you don't have to tell me." You shook your head "no It's fine. I guess it is time you learn about that now anyway." You got up and went to your room only to return a short time later with a book full of pictures of your dad. 

"He used to ride in rodeos and do hill climbs like my mom only he usually came in the top three in both. One day he was on the rodeo road with a buddy of his because he was earning points to go to the national finals and hopefully win the world. That year was his year. He sat in the number one spot for bull riding and he wasn't looking to lose that spot either." You showed him one of the pictures and he stared at it a little shocked. The bull was five plus feet in the air and your dad hung on with everything he had as he turned a bull no one was able to ride to one that only he rode.

"The bull in the picture was named R N R which was short for Real Nasty and Real Mean...anyway my dad would have four encounters with him and the last one wouldn't be as lucky as his first three. They met for the fourth time in Colorado and when my dad went to dismount his hand didn't come out like it was supposed to and he got hung up. He couldn't untie it with his other hand and the bull fighters couldn't either. Long story short my dad got knocked out and had a few broken bones as well as a huge gash down his face, but nothing life threatening." You sighed "he just so happens to be why I'm so stubborn and hardheaded at times, but have a kind heart." Raph chuckled "that's also where you get those dangerous eyes." You smiled "I know. A lot of people tell me that, but anyway back to the story. He decided that as long as he could walk after his injuries were healed he was going back and that's exactly what he did...he made it to the national finals the year he decided to come back and as he finished a ninety point ride the bull he was riding slipped and fell to his side then he went to get up and continue to buck, but slipped again right after my dad dismounted and crushed him." There was silence "did it kill him right away?" You shook your head.

"No it didn't. It snapped my dads back though and broke a few of his ribs which no one knew about until the autopsy, but what had happened was they got the bull out of the arena as guys came in and put my dad on a stretcher to take him out and examine him. As all this was going on my dads buddy called my mom and told her what was going on which made all of us worry about him because he was in his mid forties, but his buddy said it didn't look like anything bad other than he might be paralyzed the rest of his life from the middle of his back down...once they stopped my dad started to cough up blood and knew he was dying, so he called his buddy over and asked for the phone and it was handed to him. I still remember the call like it was yesterday."

Flashback

D: hey honey are the kids there?
M: yeah all of them are right here. Want me to put it on speaker?

D: *coughs* yeah.
M: ok here they are
D: hey kiddos how you doin'?
All: we're doing good and being good for mamma.
D: I'm glad you are *coughs* look kids I really need you to understand that your mamma is gonna need you guys more than ever ok? *coughs* because I don't think I'm gonna be around much longer, so you girls start doin' your best around the house to help mamma ok?
Y&S: yes papa
D: and-*coughs* I need you boys to start being the men of the house for me ok? Take care of your mamma and sisters *coughs* because I ain't comin' home. Is your mom still there?
B: yes she is.
D: ok I want to start off with telling you I love you and to please find somebody that can help you raise these ki-*coughs* kids because I know how stubborn you are and will think you can do it on your own. I now would li-*coughs* like to tell you kids that I love you just as much as I love your mamma and I want you girls to remember that cow-*coughs* girls don't cry unless they have to say goodbye to somebody and I want you boys to realize I was only ever hard on you because I didn't want you to end up like me. Please never follow in my footsteps. *voice becomes faint and extremely weak* I love you guys to the moon and back infinity times infinity. *barely a whisper because it so quiet and weak* I'll forever watch over you guys from the rodeo in the sky. Be tough my little cowgirl Y/n.

End

You swallowed hard and held back tears "I usually don't like talking about it just because it brings back so many memories with him that I regret. I was only like seven at the time, but it still bothers me sometimes." Raph hugged you and you hugged back "well we better finish packing. I'll be in my room if you need me." 

Before he knew it he was left alone and he sighed wondering why the world was so evil to you.