36 | Leap

Hitoka is sitting on the floor, crying. 

Her face is streaked in tears, red and blotchy, very similar to yours. 

Your heart is beating out of your chest. Shoto's out there, fighting, and one of the people that caused all this is crying? 

You're angry; that's an understatement. Your rage grips you, taking control of your actions, ignoring the fact that you once knew this person; thought you knew her.

You storm towards her, no longer crying, with, for once, no plan at all. 

All you know is your anger, and the desire to act upon it.

But you stop. 

Hitoka's gripping a hand in hers, a hand as ashen gray as the smoke filling the corridor. But you pay no mind to the smell, instead your eyes land on a body.

Mayra.

Her body is gray, ashen, lifeless.

Her outfit is ripped, doused in blood, and there's a heart carved on her left cheek. Carved.

"Oh god," you whisper. 

Hitoka just sobs harder. 

"Th-then who's. . . ?" 

You stutter.

". . .who's outside fighting Shoto?"

You run away, through the halls, leaving Hitoka and the dead maid behind. 

"Guards!" You scream, "Guards! Anyone!"

The door to the throne room.

You bang on it, crying out for help. It creaks open, and a head pops out.

"Takahashi!" you sob, "Help him! Shoto is outside! It's not Mayra!"

"What?" Takahashi looks confused, but follows you anyway. You can hear murmurs from the room as he leaves, not looking back.

You run, Takahashi behind you, weapon in hand. He's holding his sword, hand on the hilt. Since his quirk isn't really meant for fighting, he has to use it more often than other guards.

Mayra's body flashes in your mind. Why was Hitoka there? Did she kill. . . ?

You're so confused, but the only thing that matters right now is making sure Shoto is safe. 

"There!" Takahashi says from behind you.

Shoto stands in the middle of the courtyard, alone. You sigh in relief seeing he's okay.

You run up to hug him, but before you're close enough, he frowns, clutching his stomach.

"She's gone?"

As you get closer you can see darkness spreading across his clothes; he looks down in disbelief. Blood.

"Ow."

Then he falls to the ground.

"Please! He has to be okay!"

"Your Majesty, please calm down," the doctor says, blocking the door to Shoto's room. "Rest and fresh air would be the best thing for him right now."

"There has to be someone with a healing quirk or something!" You plead. 

"Princess," Takahashi says, placing a hand on your shoulder, "let's go."