19 | Done.

Who would do this?

You wonder as you ride back to the palace, Shoto guiding the horse. 

Why would the scarred man burn Moyasu? It seemed like he lived there also.

Again you remember the girl, who you knighted. After that, Shoto handed out food and money to the homeless commoners, stating "they need it more than I do."

At least that would boost Shoto's image. As a royal, reputation is one of the most important parts of ruling, which is probably why King Endeavor is called so. 

Focused on his own endeavors, the king has never had a great reputation.

You sigh, leaning against Shoto's back, and wrapping your arms around his waist. You feel him tense up.

"Something on your mind, Princess?" He asks. 

"Always," you whisper, "there's always something, isn't there?"

He nods.

"First it was our marriage. Now we have much bigger problems. Shoto..."

". . .should we just get married? It would cause less trouble, and I've been thinking about my life before now," you say, nervous for his response.

You remember the strict atmosphere, and how your father showed off your quirk, despite you being ashamed of it. Of yourself.

But here? With the famed 'ethereal prince'? 

Sure, the king can be crazy, but you feel more at home with Shoto. Comfortable. ...And you feel a desire to help the commoners that lost their homes. To. . .

...become queen, which you never really wanted until now.

You can't see Shoto's face, although you desperately wish you could. He's warm, and comfortable. That's the life you long for.

"Princess, did you just propose to me?" 

You feel your face heat up. "W-well, I guess I did...? Unless you don't want to get m-married, that's completely fine with me I just thought I don't know I wasn't-"

"I'll think about it," Shoto cuts you off, his soft voice calming you down. You feel his right side grow warmer; the left grows cold.

You smile. He feels so real. Human. 

That's all you've ever wanted. 

To feel human; not perfect, not a princess with a dangerous quirk.

Just human.

"I'm glad that, of all the people at that party, you were the person I'm having to marry," you whisper, loud enough so only Shoto can hear, wary of Takahashi riding beside you. 

"I am too." You hear him mumble back.

You can see the palace ahead, and you feel different than when you first arrived. New, determined.

You're not the child you were back then, a pushover.

Here you are now, not alone anymore. 

The palace grows closer, it's fiery presence matching your determination.

◆ 

"Where did you go?"

 You press your back against the wall, the king's voice booming through the door.

"Answer me," the king says to Shoto; you can hear the anger in his voice. "You leave for two hours, without my permission or even knowledge, with my best knight and horses. And you broke a carriage."

You don't hear Shoto answer. Instead, you hear glass break.

"You don't own me."

Shoto voice is quivering, just enough that you notice. You can feel a fire grow inside of you.

But you don't feel guilty for eavesdropping. 

I'm done being quiet.

You storm through the door, forgetting everything your father ever taught you.

Rule with dignity, respect.

You can hear his words in your ears as you open the doors to where Shoto and his father are arguing. The room is silent, and glass litters the floor.

The king doesn't look happy, but you're tired of respect; of respecting people who don't deserve it.

The king starts to speak, but you interrupt.

"Shut up. Let me talk."

He glances at Shoto. You can't bear to look at the prince.

"I'm tired of it! Of all the yelling, fighting! Why can't you see your kingdom is suffering?"

 The girl flashes in your head. Her ash covered clothes; matted unruly hair.

"Hundreds of people under your rule are homeless, hopeless," You snarl, throwing the words at the king like spears.

He looks...

...scared?

You close your eyes, not wanting to see his face anymore. It's all too much. 

The arranged marriage; the people burning villages; rumors of a rebellion against royalty. 

It's too much.

"Please, just help them, your majesty."

Your head is spinning, but you laugh, and bow to taunt the king. 

You see flashes of green; the king is coughing?

The world goes black. 

It feels just like that day.

 ◆ 

Please comment and tell me what you thought of the chapter!