38 | Proposal

"Let me see the king," you tell the maid at his door. She looks around nervously, eyes landing on Takahashi who's at your heel.

He nods.

"Please do not say anything that will. . .trigger him," she requests, her hand on the doorknob, "Don't mention the prince, please. He. . ."

She stops talking, instead opening the door to the king's bedroom. He's sitting on a chair to the right, book in hand. He looks normal.

But when he spots you and Takahashi, he stands up, letting the book fall to the ground.

"What are you doing here?" He says, his voice shaking. "You shouldn't be here."

"Your Majesty," you address him like you would a frightened animal, "do you remember Duke Callahan?"

His brows furrow and his lips turn down into a scowl. "That traitor."

"Traitor?" You ask. 

If Duke Callahan is presumed dead, then why would the king call him a traitor?

"I see him," the king explains, his eyes wide, "I see him every night, striking him down. It makes me want to scream. I want him killed."

"Striking who down, your Majesty?" You ask, your mind spinning.

"It's like it's on repeat in my mind, that same moment, that cursed courtyard."

"What do you--?"

"I want him killed!" He snaps, "Just like he killed my son!"

"Oh, I told you not to mention the prince," the maid sighs, shaking her head, "He's been like this ever since we had to gather in the throne room. Saying crazy things."

"What other crazy things has he said?" You ask, probably more interested than you should be.

Shoto's not dead. 

The king doesn't even know he's sick.

What is going on?

The maid wrings her hands in nervousness, avoiding your gaze. 

"He mentions fire a lot." She gulps. "Like a lot, a lot."

"Thank you for telling me."

You leave, not even beginning to try to sort things out, but desperately wanting to. 

But right now, it doesn't matter.

Because if Shoto's going. . .going to. . .

If your quirk didn't work, that means Shoto doesn't have much time left, and you have to tell him. You have to spend as much time with him as you can and tell him how you feel.

You march off to his room, leaving Takahashi in the dust.

"Shoto?" You open the door to his room, the creak resonating through you. 

It's so quiet. Too quiet.

He's sitting up in his bed, bare-chested, looking down at his bandaged stomach. 

"Shoto, you shouldn't move so much," you say, concerned. You rush to his side.

"You still haven't changed, I see," he smiles.

You're not sure what he means until you look down at your clothes. You're still in your thin dress, and you're sure leaves are still in your hair. You blush.