43 | Useless

◆

"I want all records on Hitoka we have," you tell the advisory, "family records, mainly. I want to meet her relatives."

"Whatever you say, your Highness."

The advisory has been pretty shaky recently, with two of their members gone. They insist that the Duke would never be a traitor, but you can always hear the doubt in their voices. The king's advisory sure isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Your father had an advisory, but you never saw them much. Now that you think about it, they probably resemble the quaking men before you.

You leave, going back to your room where you're supposed to meet Shoto. Takahashi pops up out of nowhere.

"Where'd you come from?" You laugh.

"I'm your personal guard, princess," he smirks, "I'm always near, whether you know or not."

"That doesn't sound creepy at all."

You walk down the hall, noticing the Kurisumasu decorations still hanging on the walls. They're mangled and torn, some falling off.

It makes you think of Inko and Izuku, and wonder if they ever got their special celebration. Unlikely due to the attack, but you still hope they did; Inko seemed so excited.

It makes you think of your home. Father used to celebrate it, somewhat. Mainly the villagers would, though, and you recall the colorful decorations and merry feeling.

Maybe you should give a little celebration, perhaps when the king wakes up. It would do good for the kingdom, especially in the state it's in. 

Your mind wanders back to Hitoka.

"Takahashi," you say, turning to him, "did Hitoka ever mention her quirk to you?"

"I barely remember her, princess," the guard sighs, "so if she did, I'm useless anyways."

"Don't talk like that," you sigh. You can tell he feels bad. He was closest to her and he can't remember her one bit? 

You would feel useless, too.

"It's not your fault," you assure Takahashi, "Hitoka is at fault. She used her quirk on you, but I still can't think about why."

"Thanks," Takahashi says, "but I can't help but feel like I'm missing something. It's like. . .I can feel her. No, wait, that sounds weird. Like she still has her hold on me."

You smile, then get an idea. "Maybe it would help if you talk to Sobakasu? He probably feels the same way."

"Maybe. I'll think about it."

Your heart aches for the guard. You can tell he really wants to help; he just doesn't know how. 

"Takahashi, I have an idea," you smile, "since it's dangerous for me or Shoto to leave the castle, could you possibly go looking for whatever relatives we find? It would be a huge help, and maybe you'll get some memories back."

He smiles wide, his face lighting up. You have a feeling he likes helping people.

"Of course, your Highness!" He chirps, giving you a thumbs up.

You spot your fiancé standing by your bedroom door, and when he sees you he smiles.

"Shoto," you greet him, "did you get any good information?"

"Sobakasu was willing to talk, thankfully" he replies. "I remembered all the questions, too."

You grin. "Awesome. Now all we need is to get rid of Hitoka's hold on him."

You turn to Takahashi. "The king's advisory should have records on both Sobakasu and Hitoka's relatives. Find them, and figure out a way to stop her."

"I'll do my best, princess," the guard says, bowing. Then he leaves you and Shoto alone, heading off to the advisory room.

"Princess," Shoto says softly, "are you sure it's a good idea to go without your guard?"

"You're right," you reply, "so I guess I'll just stick with you. Now, what did Sobakasu say?"

"It's pretty much confirmed that it's Hitoka's quirk," your fiancé starts, "but he said he can't get anymore details about where they are. He also said his father's quirk is much like his, but he's not sure if it will work, since "he's the reflection". He said he felt fine if you weren't around, too, and then he told me something strange."

"What?"

"Something about what the duke said before he disappeared. Remember how the note said 'kill my family', and now, well, he's trying to kill you?"

You get what he's hinting at, but you don't want to believe it. "No. . ."

"Sobakasu said that you're the Duke's daughter."

"That's impossible. My father got me from two commoners . . . because of my quirk."

You've never felt anything towards your biological parents, or rather, the ones you've heard of from King Mizuki. He always said they sold you willingly, but that never struck you in the heart or anything. You've never gotten mad.

But the Duke? 

Your father is a traitor? 

Why would he sell you to a king, anyways?

Why would King Mizuki buy you from a Duke?

Even though they're from rivaling kingdoms??

"I don't believe it," you say. Shoto looks convinced, though.

"Well," he replies, "you don't have to, but it all makes sense. Well, sort of."

"Why wouldn't my father tell me? Why. . .wouldn't Hiro?"

"Your brother?" Shoto asks. "It's possible he didn't know, angel. And if it is true, the Duke's wife is dead. There used to be rumors of him having a child, but. . ."

You want to forget about it. It doesn't matter, does it? It just gives you all the more reason to hate the League.

"It doesn't matter," you say, as if trying to convince yourself, "the only thing we can trace from that is our quirks. His quirk must be similar to mine. That's the only reason this information is valuable."

"Right." Shoto agrees.

He takes your hand, as if he knows you're lying to yourself. 

First Hitoka, and Mayra, and now a father you didn't even know you had? 

Rage boils under your skin, begging to be let loose.