44 | One Week Later

It's been a week.

A week since Takahashi returned from Kizuato, with information on both Hitoka and Sobakasu's relatives and quirks. Sobakasu's father has a more refined version of Sobakasu's quirk, but he couldn't do anything since he couldn't touch Hitoka. His quirk only worked through contact. Shinso, Hitoka's half-brother, provided useful information. 

Sobakasu has been staying away from you, and he seems to be able to overcome Hitoka's control over him. It's become clear why he was on the advisory, although he's so young.

It's also one week closer to your wedding to Shoto. The planning has been going smoothly, and honestly, you're sort of excited.

King Todoroki has gotten better, and you've gotten word from other kingdoms that their kings have, too. All at once, their illnesses vanished.

Nobody has found out anything more on the stranger that attacked Shoto in the courtyard that day, and the palace guards haven't captured any suspects. What they did find, though, has driven them to work harder for revenge.

The bodies of the three guards that went missing were found two days ago. Mangled, shredded. It's clear they went through torture. 

Duke Callahan and Hitoka Shinso are wanted as traitors, and villagers have been told to report any suspicious activity.

Currently, you're getting ready for the memorial set in place for the three guards and the head maid. The guards were some of the Commander's best, so it's suspected to have been a directed attack.

Which makes it all the more scary, because who could take on some of the best guards? And three at once?

You shiver. Your maid, Neena, brushes your hair, styling it for the memorial. 

Neena is Mayra's replacement; apparently they were best friends. You can't imagine taking over your dead friend's job, but here she is, the new head maid. She's incredibly nice, and honestly, you suspect her and Mayra were something more.

"You look beautiful, Princess," She smiles, placing a tiara on your head. You look in the mirror, nodding.

"Thank you, Neena."

She curtsies, leaving the room to get herself ready to attend. 

You stand up, looking in the mirror. Your dress is black, fit for mourning, but still elegant enough for a queen. You can't help but feel sad at the sight.

It's been hard since Takahashi returned from Kizuato with news.

It makes Hitoka's betrayal feel all too real, along with the fact that everyone's convinced Duke Callahan is your father. You want to ask King Todoroki about it. You want to be mad. You want to do something.

But this is not the time, because three guards gave their lives during an attack on the castle. 

You feel guilty for not knowing their names.

Now, you'll never get to.

You only met one of them; the one who helped you out of the darkness. With the slash on his eye.

He was one of the slaughtered.

You remember the sound, the way he was gone in an instant but in your heart you knew he was dead. Could you have done something?

If you could control your stupid quirk. If you could move faster. If you could've done something.

Now is not the time for tears. Shoto is waiting to escort you to the memorial. 

You look at yourself one last time in the mirror; your makeup. Some is still laying on the table. 

You smudge some on your finger, then bring your hand up to your face. You remember the guard's slash on his right eye, how it reached from his forehead to his cheek.

You run your finger along your own eye, copying the injury with black makeup.

At least you can do this.

At least you can remember him.

You open the door, Takahashi immediately saluting you, then tilting his head in question at the makeup on your face.

You smile. He'll see.

"Princess," A voice says. 

Shoto is already there, waiting, in a black suit of his own. He takes your hand, not even asking about the streak of black over your eye.

Only the royal family, the guards and their families, the maids, and the king's advisory were allowed to attend, and some of the advisory didn't even show. 

Everyone's wearing black, and the guards and the Commander sit in a group at the front. You, Shoto, and the king sit on the right, with everyone else in the back.

Takahashi sits with you, despite knowing the three killed. He insisted on staying by you, saying it was his duty. 

You're sitting with the others, and you can see Izuku's green hair in the mass of guards. You never got to talk to him about why he stayed despite being quirkless. Now isn't the best time, though, so it can wait.

Commander Aizow-- no, wait, Aizawa, stands at the front of the room, four caskets behind him. 

It feels like more of a funeral than a memorial.

The air is thick with mourning and sadness, and there's something else, but a voice interrupts your thoughts. It's the commander.

"We gather here today in memory of three guards and our head maid," he says, his voice strong and booming through the room. "Mayra was one of the kindest people I've ever met. She was attacked, and mistaken as a traitor, then left for dead. Watanabe, Ito, and Nakamura were like family to me, and I saw them as my students. They were the best of the best. They were slaughtered. Murdered. All four of them."

The room is silent. 

"We will not let them die in vain," he says, a hint of anger in his voice, "and we will not let them take any more lives. We will not let our fallen be forgotten. We will not let them get away with this."

The room erupts in cheers at the Commander's words, and again you feel something hanging in the air, overcoming everything else.

You were wrong.

These people are not sad.

They are angry and out for revenge.