5 years later

◆   5 years later   ◆

The Todoroki Kingdom

You're a Queen.

The queen of the Todoroki Kingdom to be exact.

The Todoroki Kingdom, one of the five sectors of Great Musutafu, rules alongside the Yaoyorozu Kingdom, the Bakugou Kingdom, the Iida Kingdom, and the Mizuki Kingdom. They all come together, a powerful force in the reckless, unpredictable world.

All your life you were molded and trained for your decided destiny, all because of your quirk. All your life, you've been told you're perfect. All your life, you've been told lies. 

It took an arranged marriage for you to realize that nobody's perfect; that everyone makes bad choices. 

Call it character development, call it fate, call it a good story, but it's really just how things turned out. Bad choices lead to the happiest you've ever been.

Five years ago today, your twins were born.

You nudge your husband, a smile spreading across your face. "Sssshhhh, Sho. It's supposed to be a surprise party."

"My bad."

He fixes his party hat, holding up three fingers and counting down. 

"Three."

You step into your kids' bedroom.

"Two."

You both creep up to their beds, where they lay sound asleep.

"One," your husband whispers.

You both jump up, throwing confetti into the air and screaming.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

Your children startle awake, their faces immediately breaking out into smiles.

Akane, your red-haired, fiery daughter, hugs Shoto, jumping onto his back. Shiro, your white-haired son, swipes at the confetti, catching it in his hands.

The twins look exactly alike in the face, spare their eyes. Akane has gray, while Shiro has an icy blue. 

Both pairs stare up at you as you lead them to the dining room for birthday-cake breakfast.

They hold both you and Shoto's hands as you all walk down the hall, guards trailing behind. 

"What flavor is it?" Akane asks, squeezing your hand. "I hope it's chocolate!"

"Ew," Shiro grimaces, "Chocolate is gross."

"You're gross," his sister replies, sticking out her tongue. He does the same in response.

"Vanilla is way better, right, Daddy?" Shiro tugs on Shoto's sleeve.

"I like all cake," Your husband replies, smiling down at his son. "We can also have ice cream if you want."

"YYEEEEESS!" Akane screeches.

"Shut up!" Shiro says to her.

"Guys, guys," you mutter, "I know it's both your birthdays, but that still means no yelling. Okay, Akane?"

"Okay, Mommy," your daughter clenches her fist, "I'll be the quietist you've ever heard."

"But I'm quieter," Shiro says, whispering.

"No I think I am."

"You can't even hear me, though."

"Yes I can, dummy!"

"Akane, no calling Shiro a dummy."

"Sorry, Daddy."

"Don't apologize to me," Shoto tells her, "who'd you call a dummy?"

"Sorry Shiro."

Shiro pushes past his sister, running into the dining room. "Cake time!"

"Hey, wait, Shiro!" You laugh, "I want to see you blow out the candles."

"Watch me light them, too!" Akane chirps, pointing to her small chocolate cake with six red candles on top.

"Did Dr. Aiya say you could?" You ask her, taking a seat beside the twins. 

"Yeah!" She replies, "I just kinda wish she could see me too."

"Don't worry, this is just a little family party. We'll have a bigger one later today and she'll be here."

"Will Uncle Hiro be there?" Shiro hums, smiling.

"Yep," Shoto answers him, "so will Grandma and Grandpa."

"What about Taka?" Akane says, suddenly more interested in her guests than her cake.

"Yes, Takahashi will be here."

"And Captain?"

"Yes, and some of the other pirates."

"What about—"

"Ooookkaayyy, who wants to go first?" You ask, cutting off their questions.

"MEEEEEEEE!"

"Akane, don't yell," Shoto says quietly, patting her shoulder.

"Okay," she nods, "I want to go first."

You smile at her. "It's your birthday. Go ahead and yell."

Shoto braces himself as Akane takes a deep breath.

"HHAAAAAPPPPPYYYYYYY BIIRRTHDAYY SHIROOOOO!!!!!!"

She yells at her brother, to which he responds with:

"HHHAAAAAPPPPPPYYYYY BIIRRTTTHHDAYYY AAAAKAAAANNEE!!!!"

You and Shoto laugh, calming them down.

"Okay, now show Daddy your quirks," Your husband says, "Akane, you go first. Light Shiro's candles too, please."

She smiles likes she's about to burst, bringing her hands to hover above her chocolate cake. Closing her eyes, she takes a deep breath. 

Small flames burn the wicks of the birthday candles, and she moves on to Shiro's cake and does the same.

"Shiro, you want to show us yours?"

He nods enthusiastically, lifting his hands like Akane did. He doesn't close his eyes, though, instead blinking really fast.

Small snowflakes fall from his palms, landing on the tablecloth.

"Can I have some?" Akane asks him. He nods, lifting his hands above her face and she opens her mouth as snow falls.

"Akane, eat your cake!" You tell her, putting her back in her seat. "You too, Shiro. Blow out the candles, guys."

They do, in sync without counting down, and the candles are out in one breath. 

"Happy Birthday, Akane and Shiro!" You and Shoto cheer, doing jazz hands in the air. The palace staff claps around you, smiling too.