Gone

Part 2: Chapter 2

Gone

Takahashi is awake.

After being asleep for two days, you had your doubts, but now nothing but hope fills your heart. Behind this door is your former personal guard.

Your best friend.

Taki Takahashi.

You push open the door to his medical room, immediately taking in his appearance. His right side is covered in bloody bandages, and it's gone.

His arm is gone.

You gasp, walking over to him. Your heart pounds. It's been so long.

"Takahashi?" You whisper, eyes not leaving the spot where his arm used to be. He opens his eyes, and they immediately fill with tears at the sight of you.

"I can't look," he whimpers, "I can't look. Is it really . . . ?"

You sit on the edge of his bed, a hand coming up to your mouth. "Yes. It's really gone. You're going to live."

After the palace burned, Takahashi almost died, but thanks to a fellow guard he survived; his arm, however, was crushed. It got an internal infection. It was killing his arm, and it was going to kill him too.

So they cut it off.

Takahashi will never sword-fight again. He will never be your guard and escort you to dinner. He will never hug someone with all of himself again. He will never be able to do much without assistance.

But he's alive. And that's enough.

"It's been two days, but I still can't believe it," he says, his voice weak and small, "It feels like it's still there. I keep having these dreams . . . "

"I know it's been hard," you say, taking his left hand, "but you survived."

"But sometimes," the guard whispers, closing his eyes, "I can't help but wish I didn't."

You stand up, pushing the chair behind you. "Don't talk like that. Please."

Takahashi chuckles. "Okay."

You leave, wondering what you're supposed to do now that everything's changed.

"I want to help him," you sigh, "I just don't know how. What do you give someone who has everything, but wants nothing?"

"That's true," Shoto says softly, holding your hand in his, "but he doesn't necessarily have everything. Sure, he's living in the palace, with unlimited food and comfort, but what do you do with a soldier who's lost his will to fight?"

For once, you don't have a response, so you sit quietly, leaning your head on Shoto's shoulder.

"What if . . . " Shoto starts, "What if he went a saw the castle?"

You look at your fiancé. "Do you think that would help? Wouldn't he only become worse?"

"Sometimes, to move on from your past," the prince says, stroking your hair, "you need proof that it's the past. You need the proof that you've grown, and the past has burned."

You hug him, then stand up, smiling. "I think you're right. He might actually want to see it, also."

Shoto takes your hand. "Maybe it would be best for all of us. Maybe we need that proof too."