49 | Fake Love & Forced Smiles

The wedding guests are arriving today.

Due to previous security breaches, only allies of the kingdom were invited. As an extra precaution, they are staying a week before the actual ceremony.

Including your father and Hiro.

Hiro, you're excited to see. But your father? Now that you know more than you ever did, you're not sure what to think.

So instead of worrying anymore, you put on your favorite gown and meet Shoto and the king at the gates to welcome your guests. 

Endeavor does most of the talking, while you and Shoto stand nearby, watching as the guests pass you by. Everyone seems on edge, even the usually preppy Yaoyorozu family.

Everyone passes by without saying hello to you and Shoto: The Iida family, and, not surprisingly, the Bakugous.

Everyone from your suitor party was invited. You can't say you're excited for the reunion.

They congregate in the ballroom while you wait for the last two guests: King Toshinori and King Mizuki.

You shiver at the thought of seeing your father once again. You're determined. When you see him, you won't call him father anymore. 

You're not sure what will happen when he arrives, but when he does, you won't act like everything is okay.

It is not okay.

Hiro you're excited to see. He was one of the rare happier moments you had when you were younger, and it's rumored that he's getting married himself. Hopefully by choice, though, and you haven't heard any details.

When another guest arrives, you grab Shoto's hand by reflex, searching for comfort in his presence. Thankfully, though, it was just King Toshinori.

As he climbs the steps to enter the castle, you realize the rumors are true. 

He looks weaker than before, and there are dark circles under his eyes. Nevertheless, his smile is unwavering, and he's as bulky as ever.

King Todoroki only gives him a nod as he enters, and you can tell things are tense between the two kings.

Last but probably least, father arrives. 

You clasp Shoto's hand.

But would your father be happy knowing you're getting along with the prince? That you actually want to marry him?

He would.

You rip your hand from Shoto's. You can't let King Mizuki know his choice had benefits.

You ignore the troubled look Shoto gives you.

Hiro and King Mizuki climb the steps, and you notice Hiro looks sadder than normal. You worry for him; what happened while you were gone? 

You flick your eyes over to your father, who, as usual, has a smile spread across his face. Once he sees you behind King Todoroki, he approaches faster, spreading his arms wide as if expecting a hug from you.

You completely ignore him, instead hugging Hiro who embraces you whole-heartedly. 

At least you can trust that his love is genuine.

Your fa--King Mizuki has always been a faker. You can tell by the look in his eyes when you ignore him. His fake love fooled you for so long.

You will not let him win.

"Hiro," you say, "I'm so happy to see you. How have you been?"

You pull away from him, looking at his face.

He's smiling, but it looks weary. Forced.

You know all too well about forced smiles.

"Yes, I'm glad you're okay."

He doesn't say he's okay, even though that's the only thing you wanted to know. 

After everyone's arrived, King Todoroki goes around to each guest slowly, welcoming them. You can tell he feels uncomfortable. You feel bad for him, and you want to avoid King Mizuki as much as possible, so you stay next to the Flame King for the rest of the night.

He greets the Iida family first, and of course, they're all smiles and congratulations. 

"Princess," Tenya says, offering you a handshake, "I am glad you've been well."

You take it, a genuine smile on your face. "As well as I can be."

"I'm certainly glad you haven't been hurt," he replies, a concerned expression on his face, "I was shocked hearing about the attack. The guards here must be . . . "

"Yes, well," you say, gritting your teeth thinking of the people who died, "they tried their best. We have improved security since then."

Iida smiles, and you wave him goodbye, making up some excuse to leave and greet the next guest. You're angry.

Is that really how other kingdoms see the attack? Not the enemies strength, but the castle's weakness? 

The three that died. Mayra, who was murdered. 

Was it all for nothing?

All they got was ridicule?

You want to scream. You want to cry. You want to be anywhere but here, in the same room as a fake father and people you barely know.

But instead of leaving, instead of crying or screaming, you take a deep breath and head to the next guest. 

Thankfully, King Todoroki didn't notice your almost outburst, and if he did, he didn't say a word.