Falcon

Part 2: Chapter 16

Falcon

Taki Takahashi

"Takahashi?" Shizukana says, his face shrouded in confusion. His hair is a mess and his face is dirty. 

Takahashi stares at the guard, tilting his head. 

"Do you know him, Taka?" Mina asks.

"He's . . . " Takahashi smiles, " . . . an old friend of mine."

He sheathes his sword, not fumbling like he used to when he joined the crew. Now, even though he only has one arm, his left hand is as good as a fighter as his right used to be.

Shizukana only stares at him, still confused. 

"I guess we have a lot to catch up on," Takahashi chuckles, walking with him to a ladder. Shizukana follows him up, up, and up to the crow's nest.

"You like the view?" Takahashi grins at Shizukana's surprised expression. "It's been a long time."

His old friend only blinks. "You're . . . a pirate now?"

"I guess so," Takahashi shrugs, "I've only been with the crew for a month and a half, but it's been surprisingly stress-free."

"Why?"

"Ah, well," he sighs, "what am I supposed to do, Akio? I've got one arm and no family. The sea is my home now."

"What happened to your dad?" Akio asks.

"He's not my dad anymore," Takahashi responds, looking away, "He said he didn't know me. That I was different. Guess I'm even more so now."

"Pirates," he continues, "are the only people who'll take guys like me. I'm half of what I used to be, Akio, and they didn't care. Even if my dominant hand is gone, they taught me to use what I had. Now, I'm as good with my left as I was with my right."

Takahashi's smile is so wide, that Shizukana doesn't think twice. In a way, he understands. He just smiles at his friend.

"So," Shizukana starts, "why do they call you Taka?"

"Everyone gets a new name once they join the crew," Takahashi explains, "and I'm the lookout. Taka means falcon, and it's part of my given name. I like it. Oh, guess what?"

The childish sparkle in Takahashi's eyes makes Shizukana smile. "What?"

"We sing more here than we guards ever did," he laughs, "I love it."

Shizukana remembers how much Takahashi would joke around and sing. 

"We've all changed so much, haven't we?" He sighs.

"Yep. I've lost my arm and you got taller," Takahashi grins, "two things I'd never imagined would happen."

Shizukana rolls his eyes. "It's kind of funny though. Back then . . . "

"Yeah?"

"You know I had a crush on you, right?" Shizukana laughs. "You were always ahead of me. I was jealous, but so in awe."

Takahashi's eyes widen. "I had no idea. I didn't even know you were into . . ."

"I . . . I like guys and girls. But don't worry," the royal guard tells the former, "I'm not here to reconcile with my long lost love or anything."