14 | Purple is for Royals

Maybe...

...you want to stay with Shoto.

You shake your head. 

No. We have a clear plan set in mind, and I can't throw that all away just because of a small crush. You think, besides, why would he want me to stay, anyways?

Dethrone the king, and rule on your own. That's your goal. To be the best queen, and show your father who you really are.

Not to fall in love.

"Yes," Shoto sighs, "I suppose you're right, princess. But do you really think we can pull this off in only one month before our wedding?"

The plan is (sort of) simple: You will be caught cheating on Shoto, purposely of course. Thus the marriage will be cancelled and Shoto will reveal his father's secrets to his people amid the chaos. King Todoroki will have no choice but to step down, and in the meantime, you will be devising a plan against your own father.

All in only a month.

If you can't complete the plan before the wedding, you can't go through with it. 

The penalty for cheating on your royal husband would be death. So you must cheat before the wedding, while he is only your fiance.

You have no intention of being beheaded anytime soon.

"I sure hope so," you mumble.

"We just have to make everyone think we're in love," he says, "so that the betrayal will be all the more painful. Hopefully then my father will be distracted enough to not notice me gathering the commoners."

You nod, but the thought of cheating on him makes you feel strange. 

It makes you feel pitiful.

"Alright, then," you say, "If we're really going to do this, we must do it soon. Who shall I cheat on you with? Someone who knows of the plan."

Shoto pauses to think. "Perhaps," he clears his throat, "...one of the palace staff?"

You both look at Takahashi standing behind you, doing his duty and keeping watch.

"It would be simple enough," Shoto whispers, "he does stand guard by your door every night. We would just have to convince him to help us."

Cheating with Takahashi? The thought would've never crossed your mind. Does...Shoto think about it often?

"But what consequences would that entail for him? And perhaps he has a lover of his own," you sigh, "I just don't know if I want to bring someone else into this. What if they get hurt?"

"I suppose you're right," Shoto says, agreeing, "I wouldn't want him to be punished."

"Actually," you say hesitantly, "...do you think he likes being a guard here?"

Shoto blinks. "Well, I suppose you'd have to ask him that. He's been here for as long as I can remember."

You fiddle with your hands. If Takahashi actually wanted to escape the palace, and he went along with the plan, then you could take him with you when you leave. Simple as that. He wouldn't get hurt and would get to escape. You smile. This might actually work.

"H-hey! What are you-!"

Izuku's shout interrupts your thoughts and you jerk your head towards his stall. There, he's struggling against a man who's grabbed his arm. The man's hair is all black and spiky, and he's dressed in black with a white shirt.

He's whispering something to the terrified-green-haired-boy, his face obscured by the shade from Izuku's stand. You stand up, alerting Takahashi, nodding, and he runs towards the assault. 

"Excuse me! Sir, hands off at once!" His voice is stern, and he places his hand on the strange man's shoulder.

The man swivels around, revealing himself to you. His white shirt hangs low, showing off his purple scars and pale skin. His face is even worse, half of it overcome by the same purple looking skin, clips seemingly the only thing keeping him from falling apart.

The man holds his hands up, backing away from your personal guard. 

"Calm down, calm down. I was just asking how much for one," the man defends himself, eyeing Takahashi.

Takahashi nods to Izuku, and the stall owner stutters. "T-they're only five dollariums..."

The scarred man throws ten dollariums on the table with the figures and takes one of King Todoroki. He mumbles a thanks and roams off into the crowd.

Wait...

You stand up, Shoto standing with you, and follow the man. People try to stop you and chat, but you ignore the villagers and head straight on. You hear Takahashi calling you and Shoto.

"My love," Shoto says, aware of the villagers around him, "...what are we doing? Surely you're not planning to chase him down."

You stay quiet, sure you saw him grab at least five other figures. He can't get away with it. 

You maneuver through the crowd, attempting to hide your face from the prodding people. Suddenly the scarred man turns behind a building, and you follow, grabbing hold of Shoto's hand. 

The alley is dark, despite the sunny sky the day of the market. You smell something foul, like a rotting animal or old food fill the small space. Shoto tugs at your sleeve.

"Princess," he whispers, "this is not a good idea. We should just let Takahashi deal with it."

You shake your head, Izuku's face forming in your mind. He must've worked so hard on the very detailed figures. 

You hear soft humming, seemingly coming from the scarred man ahead of you. His hand is on his hip, the other grasping the figurine of the King. His voice is husky and low.

"You're no king. A tyrant-"  he spits the word, "-is all you will ever be. Oh well." 

He throws the figure into a pile of something, grinning beneath the darkness. 

"It'll all end soon. Soon they'll all see..."

"...that purple isn't just for royals."