Not a Goodbye

Part 2: Chapter 5 ◆

Not a Goodbye

"Well, then," you say, putting your hands on your hips, "let's just redo it!"

Aoyama's eyes light up. "Oh, wonderful idea, your Highness!"

"This time," you grin, "I plan on helping."

You dust off your dress, glitter and sequins falling to the floor. More sparkles got on you than your new wedding dress, although maybe that's a good thing.

Of course, Aoyama and his helpers did most of the work, but this time you were here to help and tell them what you wanted

Of course, Aoyama and his helpers did most of the work, but this time you were here to help and tell them what you wanted. Not just pure white, but a cacophony of color, pink and oranges and blood red. Flowers, too, to represent how much you've grown since this all started. 

Aoyama claps. "You'll shine, sparkles or not!"

"Thank you, Aoyama," you laugh, "Could I . . . Could I try it on?"

"Of course! We probably need to adjust the size anyhow," the designer says, grabbing the dress and stuffing it into your arms. He nudges you to the back, where a folding screen sits. You go behind it and put on the dress.

It's baggy in some places and a little too tight in others, but it's super soft and the colors makes you feel like a sunset on fire.

You step out from behind the screen, twirling in the dress. Oohs and aahs erupt around the room and you giggle. 

"No one say a word to Shoto," you tell them, wiggling a finger at the group of maids, "It's bad luck, and we have plenty of that all ready."

Everyone nods in agreement, and then the maids get to work fitting the dress. 

"Now that that's done," you say, stretching, "can I visit Takahashi?"

Shizukana nods solemnly. "Of course, your Highness. It really is a shame what happened to him."

You tilt your head. "Did you know him?"

Your personal guard nods. "Yes, of course. We trained together, in the same class."

You recall hearing somewhere that Takahashi was the top of his class, but you never heard much of his training experience. 

"He always had the best grades. The best everything, really," Shizukana adds, shaking his head, "I never could beat him."

"Oh?" 

"I was always second," your guard continues, "but now that I have his job, it feels wrong. He should be here. I didn't beat him. I'm not the best."

You stop, placing a hand on Shizukana's shoulder. "Yes, it is awful what happened. But don't feel bad, because you are here now. Do your best, but still be kind and offer Takahashi your condolences."

"I suppose."

"Now let's go visit him," you smile, "and plus, I'm sure he'll be glad to see an old friend."

Shizukana gulps, as if nervous, but leads the way.

Takahashi is sitting on his bed, and a book on his nightstand catches your eye. It's Hitoka's diary; he must've started to read it. 

You smile at him, hoping to bring one to his face also. It doesn't work. He just stares at the ground.

"Your Highness," he greets you. 

"How've you been?" You ask him.

He gestures to his missing arm. "As good as I can be."

"I have a favor to ask of you," you say softly, walking over to him, "since my wedding is coming up soon."

"Congratulations."

"Thank you, but . . . well," you take a deep breath, "my father is no longer with us, as you know. Hiro is blind. So I wanted to ask you . . ."

" . . . if you would walk me down the aisle."

Takahashi looks up at you, his eyebrows furrowed. "Princess? Why me?"

"Because," you smile, "you were the first person to greet me when I came here. You were always there, whether I liked it or not. We're friends, and you mean a lot to me. It's a thank you."

Takahashi sighs, a small smile gracing his lips. "it'll be a goodbye."

"What do you mean?"

"I can't stay here," he explains, looking down again, "I'm not a guard anymore. I can't be. I think I'm just going to go back to my dad in Kizuato."

"Okay," you say sadly, "okay. Whatever you think is best. I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too, Princess," Takahashi says, "but this isn't goodbye yet. I'm not leaving until that wedding finally happens."

You chuckle. "I'll be glad when it does. It's sort of crazy, though. I won't be able to call him my fiancé anymore."

"Yeah, but you'll get to call him hubby."

"I don't think so. I think Shoto will do just fine," you laugh. 

You turn to the door, where Shizukana stands outside. 

"I heard you know my new guard," you tell Takahashi, "he spoke well of you."

"Oh, boy. Yeah. It's Akio, isn't it?" He scoffs. "It always scared me to death, thinking about how he could've beat me. But nope, I kept the first spot, surprisingly."

Shizukana comes inside at the sound of his first name, and Takahashi's face breaks into a grin. 

"Look at that," he says, "it's little Akio."

Shizukana rolls his eyes. "I'm taller than you now."

"Yeah," Takahashi sighs, "you're taller and you've taken my spot, but I'm not letting go of that nickname anytime soon. I have that, at least."

Shizukana smiles, something you've never seen him do. "Come here."

Takahashi stands up and they hug; Shizukana is careful to avoid Takahashi's bandages. 

"You've always been a hugger, I see that hasn't changed," Takahashi says, patting Shizukana's back with his arm. "You better take care of her. Don't be a creep like I was."

"You weren't a creep," you scoff, "at least, most of the time."

You and your new guard stand at the door, ready to leave, but Takahashi stops you.

"Remember," he says, "this is not a goodbye."