53 | Temper

Sweets are piled on the table, and your mouth waters at the sight. Let's be honest, no one did much eating during dinner, so you're glad to have something, even if you have to eat it in such a tight messy dress. 

You didn't bother changing. The crazier, the better. Although you did wash off most of the food.

Unfortunately, King Mizuki is at the sweets-table, hovering around the room like a ghost. He stops to talk to Momo's parents, and you only hear snippets of their conversation.

" . . . ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous." King Mizuki mutters. You can tell he's still angry, but he's trying to make everyone forget his little outburst.

"But it was nice to loosen up a bit," King Yaoyorozu says, smiling. 

"Mhm!" the Queen hums, "It's nice to have some fun once in a while."

You can see King Mizuki's frown deepen.

"But we're royals, for god's sake," he grumbles, waving his arms, "not animals."

"We are royals," Queen Yaoyorozu says, "but we're also human."

Momo's parents look at each other and smile. You can tell they love each other.

You giggle. Your father is alone in this one.

"What's so funny?" Shoto asks, tilting his head. 

"Oh, nothing," you grin, "just thinking about that food fight we just had."

Shoto smiles. "I never thought I would get away with throwing beans at my father."

"Character development," you sigh.

"What?"

"Nothing," you say, "but have you seen Takahashi? I thought he was going to die of laughter."

"Oh," Your fiancé says, pointing across the room, "he's with Hiro."

You wave at the two, and when he turns around, you see your brother has a huge grin on his face. He starts to walk towards you, Takahashi trailing behind.

They share the same mischievous grin.

"So," Hiro says, eyeing Shoto, "Takahashi here has been telling me some things."

You widen your eyes. "What things?"

Hiro leans in close, whispering in your ear. "Did you do the dirty?"

You gasp, glaring at Takahashi, then back at your brother. "Wh-what?! No! Takaha--"

"Hey," your guard says, holding his hands up, "he's the one who asked. Remember that night when--"

Shoto flicks his eyes between the two males, confused.

"N-nope!" You stutter, "I don't remember anything!"

Knowing you'll only continue to deny everything they say, the two turn to Shoto, circling him like vultures.

"So," Hiro starts, "have you and my sister ever done . . . done anything more than hug?"

Shoto blushes. "Like kissing?"

Takahashi holds back a giggle. "Sure, like kissing."

Your fiancé turns to you, a small smile playing along his lips. "I love her. That should say enough."

Your face erupts in red, but more so because he used the L word in public. And in front of your brother.

Takahashi and Hiro clap Shoto on the back, and Hiro smiles at you making a heart with his hands. Takahashi wiggles his eyebrows.

You roll your eyes.

You feel someone tap on your shoulder, and when you turn around, your heart drops. He caught you when you were distracted. You tried to avoid him this whole time. You tried to ignore the way he glared at you.

King Mizuki stands behind you, a smile stretched across his face. Hiro steps by your side, along with Takahashi and Shoto. The easy-going mood from seconds before is gone in an instant, replaced by seething anger and resentment from all sides.

Your fiancé puts a hand on your shoulder. You smile at him, then turn to your father.

You smile warmly. "Hello. How have you been?"

"Very well," he says, "In fact, your brother is even getting married soon. All is well, and the kingdom is in celebration."

You sense Hiro tense up at your shoulder.

"I've actually been well, myself," you say, letting your smile fall but your voice remain cheery, "you have no idea what it's like living here. Truly splendid."

King Mizuki's face falls. "Splendid indeed. I'm glad you like it here. What do you think of the prince? You are to marry him soon. Stressful, I can imagine."

You cringe at the way he talks as if Shoto is not behind you and can hear every word. Your fist clenches.

"Oh no, not at all," you grin, "I love him."

His face scrunches up, glancing at Shoto who's behind you.

There it is.

The crack where his temper shines through. 

Why does he get so mad when you mention Shoto?

It gives you an idea. After all, you are the queen of good ideas.

You turn to Shoto who's glaring at your father. 

And you kiss him on the lips. Hard. 

You hear Takahashi whistle, and you wrap your arms around your fiancé's neck, standing on your tip-toes. You make sure to glance at your father before closing your eyes, completely entranced by the way Shoto warms at your touch.

You can feel him smile against you.

You pull away, warmth rippling through your body, and turn to your father. 

His face isn't red. He isn't frowning.

Instead, he stares down at you, like a bug he's about to crush.

And suddenly a thousand memories hit you like a typhoon, making your head hurt and your heart beat faster.

 Crying.

Sleepless nights.

And red marks that didn't go away for days.

The things you tried so hard to forget. The things you wanted no one else to know. After all, he did it because he loved you.

King Mizuki raises his palm, and you feel like the little girl you once were, begging to be forgiven to spare yourself from his temper.

You want to shrink under his gaze.

But you don't stand alone.

Shoto steps in front of you as your father brings his hand down, grabbing his wrist and stopping the assault.

Hiro and Takahashi are at your sides, and you see your guard's hand at the hilt of his sword.

No, you don't stand alone, not anymore. You're not the weak little kid you once were.

King Mizuki rips his wrist from Shoto's hand, storming off for the second time that night. Your fiancé immediately turns to hug you, and you crumble in his arms.