16 | Ashes

"...and the village was completely burned down, ten were injured, three most likely fatally, and two children were killed."

King Todoroki nods, his hands supporting his chin as he sits on his throne. His eyebrows are furrowed, but otherwise, his face is expressionless. The room is quiet.

You and Shoto stand near the wall, watching the scene unfold. 

Endeavor does not look happy about his largest (and most productive) village being burned down, especially on the day of the Farmer's Market. His mouth curls down in a scowl, showing his displeasure. 

"What of the culprit?" 

The King's voice booms through the hall, and it is clear he is becoming upset. 

"T-the culprit," Duke Callahan shudders, "has not yet been found."

Duke Callahan, although a man of short stature and meek appearance, is the only man who has served so long under the fearsome King Todoroki. Still, after ten years of service, he still stutters when asked a question by the man.

King Todoroki scoffs. "Well I want them found immediately. Any lead we have. Now."

The Duke nods and reaches into his pocket. "The only evidence we have," he mutters, "is this."

In his hand is a burnt wooden figure smudged in ashes and dirt. You recognize it immediately. 

The scarred man did this. You know it. You just haven't told anyone yet, for fear of the blame shifting. Perhaps the King may even blame you.

He is unpredictable, but the man must be punished. You know that. 

So why is it so hard to speak up? 

"Shoto," you whisper and tug on his sleeve, "I have an idea. Meet me in my room in five."

He nods, and the meeting is finished. The massive doors close and you and your fiancé depart. You can hear the king talking to himself as you leave the room. 

You go to your bedroom and pull out paper and a pen. 

Perhaps, you think, we can gather more stable evidence. But how?

Five minutes later, Shoto enters, Takahashi smirking behind him as he closes the door. 

This is only one of many times you've been alone with Shoto, so why is it different now? Why is your heart racing?

I'm not pretending.

You blush thinking of his words, but shake your head. This is not the time.

"Shoto," you smile, "remember when the scarred man approached Izuku?"

The young man nods, and sits beside you at your desk, his eyes scanning the paper you placed in front of him.

"Why would he do that? Izuku is a commoner, a mere sales-boy. Was it a distraction, perhaps? Something to make him seem like a normal villager?"

You draw as you speak, the pen dancing across the paper. Shoto watches intently as you improvise a map of the Todoroki Kingdom from memory.

A good queen must know every shortcut and border of her kingdom.

Some of  your father's advice did come in handy.

"Here's the market, where we were the day of the fire," you say, "which happens to take place in the village of Moyasu, the most productive village in the kingdom. It borders the village of Kizuato, sometimes known as the First Village."                                                                                                     "Now, think about it. The scarred man came to Moyasu, bought a figure from Izuku, then burned the market down with what he presume is his quirk. There were guards everywhere, so where would the most likely spot he would've fled to?"

Shoto's eyes light up, as if he's catching on. "The First Village."

"Exactly," you smirk, "that's where he must be. It has been four days since the incident, but with so many guards patrolling that area, he has to still be there."

"But why did he buy the figure from Izuku in the first place?" Shoto asks. "That's the only thing that doesn't make sense to me."

"I'm not sure," you pause, "but maybe we can find out."

"Actually," your gaurd muses, his gaze directed at King Todoroki, "there's somethings you might not know about the First Village."

"What do you mean?" You ask.

You're with Takahashi, whom you'd shared the plan with already, and Shoto, waiting for the right moment. King Endeavor sits on his throne, discussing the pile of ashes that used to be Moyasu with the Duke. 

"I mean," Takahashi whispers, "that not all of Kizuato's history is written in those books. At least, not the ones available to you."

"But wait, who would know more about Kizuato than we already do?"

Shoto listens intently as Takahashi continues.

"Think about it. The Bakugou Kingdom used to rule Kizuato, before the Brothers' Treaty of course, so there's things we don't know about its past. Things that wouldn't be written down in our region's history books."

"But would be in the Bakugous'." 

"Takahashi, you're a genius," you smile, "of course! There's things that happened before King Todoroki bought Kizuato, things that could relate to the incident, and perhaps the scarred man's origin."

Shoto smiles at you and Takahashi. "Well, then, let's figure out more."

Suddenly, Shoto stands up and clears his throat, gaining the attention of his father and Duke Callahan. They both look at him quizzically. 

"I have a proposition, father." Shoto says, his voice louder than you've ever heard it.

There's something about the way he addresses the king, something...regretful? No, angry, perhaps? Whatever it is, it makes you uneasy.

There's so much you don't know about Shoto, still.

The King narrows his eyes. "Speak."

"I would like to visit Moyasu with my future queen," Shoto states, eyes downcast.

Shoto, you think, what are you doing?

King Todoroki says something, but Shoto interrupts him.

"And," he snaps, "I would like you to invite the Bakugous to our palace, including a commoner called Izuku Midoriya, if that wouldn't be too much trouble?"

The king looks astounded that his son would ever use such a tone of voice, especially directed at him. Duke Callahan repeatedly glances between the father and son, clearly nervous.

"Well," the kings says, looking Shoto straight in the eye, "what kind of father would I be if I didn't let my son have what he wanted two weeks before his wedding?"

What? We still have 25 days!

Shoto tenses up, and you begin to stand, but Takahashi stops you. 

"He'll be okay," he whispers, eyes trained on the prince.

"Father, that was not the agreement," Shoto calmly says.

The king smiles. "With our most productive village turned to ash, the people have grown restless. They need a distraction. What better than their dear prince's wedding?"

"I'm sure you only want the best for the kingdom..."

The king rests his head on his fists. Duke Callahan shudders at his sharp tone of voice.

"...right Prince Shoto?"