What if

Part 2: Chapter 7 ◆

What if

"I think I'm going to throw up."

"Oh no, princess, the wedding is in a few hours, and this should be a happy day!"

"Your sentiments won't stop me from puking," you tell Neena, waving your hand dismissively, "Even as happy as it is, that can't stop me from being deathly nervous."

You run a brush through your hair, taking deep breaths. It's your last day as a Mizuki. After tonight, you'll be a Todoroki. Everything is going to change. 

Neena helps you dress, and you put on your wedding gown you made with Aoyama. Shoto should be heading to the wedding already, and when you get there, he'll be waiting at the alter. You wonder what he'll be wearing, but more so what his face will look like when you walk down the aisle.

Once you're ready, you take a glance in the mirror before heading out. You're in your dress, and Neena did your hair. You chose the most comfortable, but pretty, shoes to match.

"You look like you're on fire," Neena whispers in awe, taking in your appearance, "only suitable for the future queen of the Flame Kingdom."

You silently disagree with her, because you're not on fire. You've already burned. 

Now, you're a phoenix, rising from your ashes. The whole kingdom is.

Rising from your past, and embracing the future.

"Where are we going?" You ask Shizukana quietly, fidgeting in your wedding dress. Your guard turns to you, a neutral look on his face.

"I'm not exactly sure."

The carriage bumps along the road, and you can feel the path getting rockier. Where in the world could you be going?

Once the carriage stops, Shizukana helps you down, his hand holding yours. The sound of rushing water fills the sky, and the coachman climbs down. He tips his hat, leading the way.

"We'll go on foot from here," he tells you, "it's not too far, your Highness."

As you walk, Shizukana and the coachman leading the way, your mind wanders. Nobody, except for a select few, even know this was an arranged marriage. Would it even be considered one, now that you're actually looking forward to it?

You look up at the  trees above you. Their branches, reaching to the sun, growing on their way. You watch birds and squirrels and all of the wildlife, and it feels strange. There is life, just as Dr. Aiya told you. There is life everywhere.

 You feel a sense of relief, and your nervousness has melted away. 

"Right this way." The coachman holds out his arms, then turns the corner. The sound of water grows louder, and you hear idle chatter.

Shizukana taps you on the shoulder. "I'll take you to your dressing room. Maids will prepare you to walk the aisle."

You nod, following him. You're already about to walk to the alter and get married. Is it weird that it feels so fast? 

Your heartbeat starts to get louder as you think of the night. You'll share a bed with Shoto . . .

You shake your head, fighting a blush. Not now. Not the time.

There's a small spot under a tree, and maids bustle around you, picking at your dress and adjusting your hair. 

"Oh, princess," one says, "you're so lucky."

"Definitely," another sighs, pulling a leaf from your hair, "you're marrying the prince, and you even get an outdoor wedding!"

They turn to each other and squeal. You blush in embarrassment. "I-I uhm . . ."

"Oh, you're children will be so adorable!" The first exclaims, taking your hands. 

"I hope your wedding is joyous, your Highness!" They both say in unison,  and all of the maids leave, heading to who knows where. 

Shizukana returns. "Did they even tell you where to go?" He asks, tilting his head.

"Nope," you laugh nervously.

"Don't worry, you still have twenty minutes. Everyone is getting seated."

"Is my brother here?" You ask, sitting down. "And what of Shoto?"

Shizukana nods. "Yes, his Majesty is with the other royal guests. The prince is at the alter with the priest."

You sigh, leaning back and blushing at the thought of Shoto waiting for you. You wonder what he's thinking right about now. But a wedding . . . outside?  And a royal one at that?

"But how will the wedding be held outside? Why?" You ask your personal guard. 

Shizukana grins, something you rarely see him do. "That's a surprise."

You pout, trying not to wrinkle your wedding dress. The air is cool against your skin, and honestly, you have to admit it's perfect weather for an outside event like this. 

What if something goes wrong, like the last wedding? What if someone tries to ruin it again?

You can only hope not, and trust in the security and secrecy of the place. But still, a thought lingers.

What if?