1 | For the Kingdom

You're a princess.

The daughter of the great King Mizuki to be exact.

You're second-in-line to the throne, your brother, Hiro, to be king someday.

Instead of training to become the queen of your own kingdom, you've been training your whole life to be the queen of a different kingdom, all because of your quirk.

Nearly 80 percent of the population have inborn superpowers called quirks. These abilities generally fall under three categories: Emitter, Transformation, and Mutant.

Your quirk is an Emitter quirk called Charge.

You can lend your energy or strength to any other living thing on contact, giving them more energy, but depleting yours.

Because of this, many other kingdoms want you to marry their rulers, believing that your quirk would help their kingdom prosper. Some even go as far as offering money and alliances.

Your father, however, is a strategic man. He knows you are the kingdom's most valuable weapon. That your future is detrimental to the kingdom's prosperity.

All your life, you've been conditioned into the perfect princess, someday queen of a far off kingdom. Skilled in both defensive skills and strategic ones, you have perfect manners and beauty. You are perfect.

Well, as close to perfect as you can be. You used to be much different.

You shake your head, not wanting to dwell on the past. Father has just called you to his chambers, and you're walking with Hiro.

"What do you think he wants, Hiro?" You ask your brother.

Your long dress drags behind you, the silvery silk complementing your skin tone.

Hiro shrugs. "Probably something about the latest threat from the Todoroki Kingdom. They're getting ruthless."

You sigh. Ah, the Todoroki Kingdom. 

The royal family mostly consisting of fire quirks, they're powerful, and their king is a full-on tyrant. Endeavor, they call him, for whatever reason. King Endeavor.

You scoff. "As powerful as they are, their threats are empty and meaningless. They haven't attacked us once, and they never will," you say to Hiro.

He raises an eyebrow. "Now, now, sister. Don't get so cocky. Even if their king is disliked by his people, he hasn't been overruled, which says a lot. He is taking care of his people. And you never know," he says, "if you focus on the dog's bark, you will be overcome by his jaws."

"Your highnesses!" The gaurd at your father's door says, "His Majesty has been waiting."

He opens the door to the large bedroom, and you walk inside. Your father is sitting on the edge of his bed, his hands on his forehead. 

You rush to his side. "Father? What is it?"

He lifts his head and gestures to the two chairs across from him. "Sit, please. Both of you."

You sit down beside Hiro, giving him a worried glance. He shrugs and looks worried also.

Your father sighs. "My children, it has been five years since your mother passed."

You gulp, knowing what this conversation will be about.

"There has been talk going around that we are weaker without our queen," he continues, "Even if I am king, your mother was the backbone of the kingdom. She was so kind and..."

You see his eyes tear up. You smile at him, encouraging him to go on.

"I believe it is time," the tired king says, "for you to get married."

Your heart starts to beat out of your chest, and you can feel sweat start to form.

"As much as I hate to admit, this kingdom is weaker. We need a new alliance," he says, looking at you, "You are finally of age, and we need it now more than ever. The Todoroki Kingdom is persistent. We need to scare them off by getting you to marry a strong king."

You sigh, knowing full well that this was your duty.

"For the Mizuki Kingdom," you stand and bow, "I will do my duty as a princess."

"That's my girl," your father smiles at you. "We'll hold a party, inviting the strongest kingdom's heirs, and see who offers the highest price!"

You can tell your father is excited, which makes you smile. "It will be splendid, Father."

He laughs. "Of course, Darling! Only the strongest king for my daughter!"

Hiro looks at you, worry in his eyes. 

You leave the room, your gown trailing behind you, and you notice the only sound in the castle is your father's laughter.

"You can't just let him auction you off like that!"

Hiro paces your bedroom, clearly angry. You were sitting on your bed, fully accepting your fate, until he stormed in and started shouting.

"Hiro, this is for the good of the kingdom. Calm down," you plead.

"I can't! You don't understand. He's literally going to sell you," he says, "I can't just watch as my sister is sold off to some old king because of her quirk!"

"No, you don't understand!" You snap, clenching your fists and standing up.

You're tired of it. Hiro will never understand. With his quirk, he can draw power from the moon depending on it's shape. He doesn't need to rely on anyone.

But your quirk? No, you can only make other people stronger. You have to work extra hard to defend yourself. 

You shake your head and rake your hands through your hair. That was the first time you'd ever yelled at him. A queen wouldn't do that. 

You take a deep breath and look at your brother. He looks shocked, sad even.

"Hiro. I'm an adult now. I know how you feel, but I can take care of myself," you say.

Hiro embraces you. "Please. I just want you to be happy."

You wrap your arms around him gently. "I am happy, Hiro.-"

"-I'm doing this for the kingdom."