Promise

Part 2: Chapter 8 ◆

Promise

Soft instrumental music fills the air, but you can't determine where it's coming from. Your heart is beating out of your chest and your cheeks are red.

You're getting married.

To Shoto. 

Shoto Todoroki.

"Are you ready, your Highness?"

Shizukana bows as you nod.

 "Where's . . . ?" You start to ask, but his voice surprises you.

"I'm here," Takahashi says, coming out from behind Shizukana. He's wearing a tailored suit, with his right arm's sleeve tied at the shoulder. He carefully places the veil over your face, then offers you his left arm, a small smile playing on his lips. 

You take it and he walks you down a path. You can hear running water and soft chatter. You turn the corner, to where the wedding actually is.

Your eyes widen when you see the waterfall, but your heart kips a beat when you see Shoto at the alter.

At the foot of the waterfall and shore of the lake, your fiancé is standing, with a priest behind him. White chairs line the way to the alter, and flower petals are everywhere.

You don't look at the crowd. You don't look at Takahashi.

All you can see in that moment is Shoto.

All is quiet as you walk down the aisle, and it feels like forever until you reach the end. Takahashi leaves you, bowing.

It's just you and Shoto, across from each other, staring in each other's eyes. His face is completely red, and yours probably is too. 

The priest clears his throat, starting to speak. "Do you, his Highness Shoto Todoroki, take the princess of an allied kingdom, her Highness [Y/n] Mizuki, to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

Shoto's voice is clear. "I do."

"Do you promise to have and hold her, from this day forward, for better and for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health?"

"Till death do us part," Shoto pledges, taking your hands and smiling softly.

The priest then looks at you, starting again. "Do you, her Highness [Y/n] Mizuki, take the prince of an allied kingdom, his Highness Shoto Todoroki, to be your lawfully wedded husband?"

"I do," you say, heart pounding and face flushed.

"Do you promise to have and hold him, from this day forward, for better and for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health?"

And right then, you look at Shoto. His multi-colored hair and eyes, the soft blush on his cheeks, the way he seems to actually see you. 

And you put everything into your words.

"Till death do us part."

"You may now," the priest says, bowing, "kiss the bride."

All restraint is gone in that moment, and as far as you and Shoto are concerned, there's no crowd clapping and cheering. 

He wraps you in his arms, bringing you close and shutting his eyes. His lips are on yours, and he kisses you, long and soft. Only when you feel tears on his cheeks do you pull away.

"I love you," you say, wiping them away.

"I love you," he replies, kissing you again. 

He twirls around with you in his arms, and you throw your flowers, finally looking through the crowd of people that came to your wedding.

A few guards: the one that saved Takahashi, Shizukana, and Izuku are the ones you recognize.

Of course, some royals: Yaoyorozu is beside you, looking beautiful in a red dress, and you see the Bakugous, the Iidas, and Hiro with his pup.

But the one who catches the bouquet?

 None other than Prince Katsuki himself, fighting with Hiro over the flowers. You shake your head watching them bicker.

"I was the one who caught them, you dumbass!" Katsuki barks, holding the flowers out of Hiro's reach.

"I'm a king," Hiro replies, "and her brother."

You walk over to them, worrying for your blind brother. You hold your husband's hand, laughing.

"You look beautiful," he whispers, stopping you for a moment.

"Sh-Shoto!" You blush, "W-we better go help Hiro."

He nods, smiling at your red cheeks.

Kyuen is at Hiro's side, and Katsuki doesn't even seem to notice the dog. When he sees you and Shoto, though, he grunts and bows.

"Congratulations, your Highnesses," he grumbles, still clutching the flowers.

"Looks like someone taught you some manners." You retort, holding back a laugh.

Some sort of strange squeal emits from Hiro's mouth, and he hugs you tightly, then pats Shoto on the back. 

"Congrats, guys!" He smiles, "I just wish I could see what the dress looks like."

Katsuki looks at him quizzically. "Dumbass, she's wearing it-"

"Hiro's blind," you snap, surprised the prince didn't notice already. Hiro only grins, snorting a little.

"You didn't notice?" He laughs, pointing to his gray, dilated eyes.

"Wh-What do you mean, dammit!" Katsuki stutters. "Since when?"

"The fire," Hiro sighs, "you really are dense, huh?"

"You bastard, just take them," Katsuki says, shoving the flowers at your brother. 

"What? I don't want them anymore." Hiro scoffs, giving them back to the foreign prince.

"Wh-? Hey! I was trying to be ni—!"

You look at Shoto, who is laughing at the two's bickering. You squeeze his hand in yours, smiling.

"It's crazy, isn't it?" You tell him, "how fast things change."

"Crazy," He replies, dragging you away by the hand, "really crazy."

"Hey," you giggle, "where are we going?"

"Don't you hear the music?" He smiles, looking really happy, "let's dance!"

He stops at the shore of the lake, where the waterfalls feeds. He grins at you, then lifts a hand . . .

. . . and the lake turns to ice, the waterfall freezing also. You stare in awe at the beautiful display of your husband's quirk.

Shoto leads you onto the lake, holding you steady.

"I won't let you fall," he says, seeing your widened eyes.

You look up at him, steadying your feet. "Promise?"

"Promise."