53.5 | Go Down in Flames

◆

Hitoka shivers.

She can't let this happen. What would Shinso think of her right now? And Takahashi?

She can't. She won't.

"Hitoka," Dabi says as they both crouch outside of the castle walls. "You remember the plan, right?"

She scoffs. "Of course. All of our lives have been leading to this moment."

Dabi turns to her, looking her in her eyes. "Get in, get out. If you're not out in the next ten minutes, we're not waiting for you."

Hitoka nods. "I'm not stupid."

"We'll see about that," the scarred man replies. "Now go. In then out. Shigaraki has little patience."

Hitoka does as she's told, knowing full well that it's not Shigaraki that is going to start the plan. Dabi's indirectly telling her that he won't wait, either.

 ◆

She's inside, only thanks to Kurogiri's quirk.

The walls are as she's remembered them, clean, but the Kurisumasu decorations are gone. 

She runs through the halls, surprised to find them empty. Where is everyone? She doesn't even see any guards.

She has to warn someone.

She can't stop the League's attack, but she can choose to not be a part of it.

Screw Shigaraki's plan. She just has to find someone to warn the royals. Maybe they'll escape, at least. 

Maybe Takahashi will get out if she warns someone in time.

Her bare feet are sore from running, but she has to keep going. If only she knew were everyone was gathered, then she would have more time to help them. All she knows is that there's some party going on.

That's why the League wanted to initiate the plan so quickly.

"Like killing five royals with one stone," she remembers Shigaraki saying.

Hitoka's eyes scan the halls, and in desperation she tries to call out for someone. Someone. Anyone.

At last, a guard appears from around the corner, tilting her head in confusion. Her hair is in a tight bun, and a sword is at her hip. When she sees Hitoka, her eyes light up in recognition and her mouth forms a scowl.

"Hey! You're the trai--"

Hitoka runs to the guard, hugging her tight and covering her mouth. She tries to be as gentle as she can.

She doesn't want to hurt anymore people.

The guard must see the desperation in Hitoka's eyes, because she doesn't fight her, instead she's quiet, her eyes scanning the traitor clinging to her.

"Listen to me," Hitoka growls, "Something very, very bad is about to happen. You have to get everyone out. There's not much time."

The guard nods, and Hitoka lets go of her. 

"But why are y--"

Hitoka interrupts her. "Tell the princess," she pauses, thinking of what to say, of how she could possibly sum up all of her emotions in such a rush. "Tell the princess I'm sorry."