I Love You

"And that," Takahashi explains to the twins, "is how I lost my arm and almost died."

"And Uncle Hiro saved you?" Shiro asks, snapping his head to your brother, who's sitting beside you.

"Yep, without him I'd be dead." Takahashi laughs.

"It's not funny. I really thought you'd already died," Hiro comments, huffing, "Scared the life out of me."

"But we're all alive, and that's what matters," Shoto tells your kids.

You shove Takahashi lightly, whispering to him. "Seriously? You're telling two five year olds about how you almost died?"

He shrugs. "Akane asked. Who am I to leave her hanging?"

You sigh, rolling your eyes.

"Mommy, where is everyone else?" Your son asks.

You smile at him. "They're going to be here soon—"

"T H E R E ' S T H E B I R T H D A Y K I D S !"

Your children scream and run at the sight of Katsuki bursting through the door, a devilish grin on his face. He chases them and scoops them both up with one arm.

"Katsuki, be careful," you tell him, standing up.

"What?" He says, swinging them around as they screech, "I'm not gonna hurt them."

"That's not what I—"

Akane bites Katsuki's shoulder. Hard.

As he lets out a wail, the twins wriggle free, giggling and running back to their dad. Shoto doesn't scold them.

Katsuki walks over to the circle of guests, rubbing his shoulder then taking a seat beside Hiro.

"Fu—"

Hiro stops him. "Language. This is a kid's birthday party."

"Fine," Katsuki grumbles, "Freaking kids. I just became king two months ago but those two don't even treat me like I'm a human."

"You're a big, loud, crazy Pomeranian," Hiro shrugs, "Just like Akane. She's probably your biggest rival. Shiro's not as crazy, more like me. They make a great pair."

"Hey, wait, are you—"

"Yes I'm flirting, you idiot." Hiro sighs. "I'm tired of not being able to say what I want to, so I'm gonna say it. I think I like you and you're super freaking hot."

"You haven't seen me in over five years."

"I'm blind, but that doesn't mean I can't see."

"You're still as goddamn confusing as you've always been," Katsuki hums, "but you've changed a lot the past five years."

"Language, Katsuki," Hiro tells him, smirking, "Shut your mouth around the kids."

"Make me."

That's when you turn around, not wanting to see anymore than you have to. You grab Akane and Shiro, gesturing for Shoto.

"Let's take them to see Dr. Aiya," you say, "Hiro and Katsuki are. . ."

Your husband's eyes widen and he nods. "Alright, let's go."

"Akane, Shiro!" Dr. Aiya smiles, her arms wide open for a birthday hug. "How'd your quirk demonstration go?"

"It went really well, Doctor," you tell her, watching them hug. "I'm just glad my genes didn't kick in."

"Oh no, I've found a way to suppress your power inside of them," she explains, "I thought it only appropriate to unveil the secret on their birthday."

You hold Shoto's hand. "How?"

She gestures to Akane. "This girl here is full of fire. Loud and excited about everything, she's a force to be reckoned with, especially since she inherited His Majesty's fire quirk. On your side, however, she was born with the power to give her energy."

Dr. Aiya then turns to Shiro. "This boy, born with the power of ice on his side, is intricate, serious, free, much like the snowflake. He, however, can only take energy."

"Now, when they first discovered their quirks, they couldn't use one without using the other at the same time," Dr. Aiya continues, "but now, I've figured out a way to harness one side and focus. They are children, so it is natural for them to be wild."

"If Akane closes her eyes, she can use her fire without giving her energy."

"If Shiro blinks repeatedly, he can use his ice without stealing energy."

The quirk doctor turns to you, eyes wide and sparkly. "Isn't it wonderful?"

Your eyes are teary as your kids smile at you. "Yes. Yes, it's wonderful."

"Thank you so much, Dr. Aiya," Shoto tells her, nodding.

"I'm sure they'll develop and be able to control each quirk separately, that way they won't have to close their eyes and such," she smiles, "but I'm just glad I get to work with them. They really are sweet kids."

"Thank you. We are forever in your debt." You wipe your eyes.

"No, thank you, Your Majesties," Dr. Aiya bows, "Now go celebrate with your children."

"Did you have a good birthday, guys?" Shoto asks the twins.

"The best!" Shiro exclaims.

"IT WAS AWESOME!" Akane cheers, waving her arms. "Uncle Hiro even let me play fetch with Kyuen!"

"His guide dog?" Shiro questions, "Doesn't he need Kyuen to see?"

"No, he just has to touch her and he can see through her eyes," Akane explains to her brother.

"That . . . " You sigh, "That's not how it works, Akane."

"That's what Taka told me."

"Let's just go to bed," you sigh, shaking your head. 

You and Shoto lay on the outsides of the bed, and the twins curl up in between you both.

"Goodnight," Shoto says.

"Goodnight," you and Shiro reply.

"Good morning," Akane giggles.

You roll your eyes, patting your daughter's head and cuddling her close to you. "Good morning, Akane."

"Good morning," Shiro whispers, before both the twins' breathing slows into the calm pattern of sleep.

You reach over them, intertwining your fingers with Shoto's.

"I love you."

"I love you too."