The Future

Part 2: Chapter 10 ◆

The Future

"To a rule full of happiness and peace," Tenya says, lifting a glass, "and lives long lived."

After dancing with Shoto, you returned to the palace with the guests, and now the sky is dark. 

Everyone lifts their glasses to Tenya's statement, laughing and cheering. King Todoroki sits at the head of the table, and to your surprise, he makes a joke.

"No throwing food this time around," he grins, looking at his plate.

"No promises," Shoto mutters, making everyone laugh. You're sitting by him and Hiro, with Takahashi next to him. 

You convinced your former guard to stay a little longer, for a last meal at the palace. After this, he'll go home to Kizuato. You try to distract yourself from the fact that he's leaving.

Aoyama is at the table, too, receiving praises for the beautiful wedding dress he made. 

As Yaoyorozu gushes over the tea and Queen Mitsuki scolds Prince Katsuki for feeding Kyuen table scraps, all you can do is smile.

Shoto suddenly stands, clinking a fork against a glass to get everyone's attention. He glances at his father, and the latter nods.

"Thank you all for coming here today," Shoto says, looking down the table, "and I would like to share something with you all. My father, King Todoroki, will be stepping down from the throne."

Even though you knew already, it still feels strange. People glance at the king and whisper, and for a second, the atmosphere is awkward and tense.

But you break the silence.

"Thank you, Your Majesty."

Everyone looks at King Todoroki, expressing their own gratitude and saying goodbye.

"Arigatou, King Todoroki."

"Osoreirimasu, your grace."

"Arigatou gozaimashita, Enji."

"Long live Enji Todoroki, and may he be in good health."

King Todoroki shakes his head slowly, his voice catching in his throat. "I don't . . . I don't deserve . . . after everything I—"

Shoto pipes up, speaking but not looking at his father. 

"Watashi wa anata o yurusu," he says, "I forgive you."

The room is quiet, but then Hiro claps, and it spreads. Soon everyone is clapping and smiling. 

"Hmm," Takahashi says, looking down, "I would clap, but I'm afraid I can't at the moment."

In spite of yourself, you laugh, and Hiro pats Takahashi on the back, Kyuen nudging at his arm. You take your glass, standing up.

"To the future!" You say, smiling at your husband, "To our future."

Everyone lifts their glasses in unison.

"To the future!"

You slip out of your wedding dress, stretching after the long day, and put on a more comfortable nightdress. You walk outside to the hallway when you hear a knock.