Guillotine

Part 2: Chapter 27 

Guillotine

Izuku Midoriya

"The guillotine awaits."

The guards snarl insults into the prisoner's ear, pulling her across the palace floor. Midoriya stands aside, following from a distance. 

"Guys," he mutters to the guards he doesn't know very well, "don't hurt her."

Mirachi, his superior, turns around, tightening his grip on the prisoner's arm. "She's a murderer. Why do you think she's being executed?"

"Oh, uh," he stutters, his eyes flicking to the ground, "sorry, but you don't—"

Mirachi lets go of the prisoner, sighing. "Listen, Midoriya, I know you're new and all, but normally the Commander wouldn't let someone like you help with such an important job."

Another guard laughs. "Yeah. You're only here 'cause the queen took a liking to you. We all know you're just a quirkless suck-up."

"Not cool, Ito," Mirachi punches him in the arm, shaking his head. Midoriya tilts his head, the pieces clicking together.

"Ito?" he wonders aloud, "Like the . . . ?"

"Yes," Ito scowls, "like my brother that was killed, by none other than this bitch."

The guard jerks the prisoner's blonde hair, making her wince. She doesn't say a word.

Midoriya blinks. He bows, flustered from the guard's aggression, then moves to the side. "S-sorry."

He stands there, not sure what to do, as they drag the prisoner away. He pays no mind to her smirk, instead shuffling his feet along the floor and following the more experienced guards.

There are three of them, not including the green-haired one. Mirachi, Ito, and a female whose name Midoriya doesn't know. They were all the top of their class, known as some of the more important protectors of the palace. He doesn't know any of their quirks.

As they all reach the gates of the palace, heading to the guillotine, something makes Midoriya stop.

"Guys," he says, running to catch up with them. Mirachi turns around while Ito grips the prisoner. 

"What is it?" Mirachi asks. 

Ito grumbles. "Come on, let's just go."

"Wait," the female guard says, her eyes widening, "I think I hear something."

The two male guards glance at each other, their gazes hardening. "What is it, Misaki?"

"It sounds like," Misaki pauses, "like screaming."

Ito sucks in a breath. "I don't hear anything. Let's just go, we can't be late."

Mirachi puts out his arm, stopping his friend who's trying to flee. "What if someone needs help?"

Misaki grabs the prisoner by her other arm, her eyes flicking around the room. 

"Alright, let's go," she concludes, "I'm sure it's nothing."

Instead of walking away, though, she puts a finger to her mouth, quieting her male counterparts. Midoriya clenches his fists, his stomach churning.

Stepping to the wall, not loosening her grip on the prisoner, she puts her ear to an empty spot. 

"Someone's next door," she whispers, "listening to us."

Midoriya's eyes widen, but he doesn't get a chance to warn his friends when the prisoner pulls out a knife from seemingly nowhere. Slashing Ito and Misaki's arms, she springs up as they scream.

Mirashi acts fast, pinning her to the ground and grabbing the knife from her hands. "Where did you get this?" He snarls.

"Guess you got me," the prisoner sighs in a mocking tone, sending shivers up the guards' spines. 

Ito steps forward, clutching the wound on his forearm. Clenching his teeth, he winces. 

"Pat her down," he tells Misaki, "make sure she doesn't have any more weapons on her."

As Misaki does so, Midoriya rushes over to Ito, eyeing the blood dripping down his arm. 

"Oh my gosh," he mutters, pulling a cloth from his pocket and wiping the blood. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." the injured guard mumbles, whispering a thanks.

Midoriya then helps Misaki with the slash on her arm.

"Thank you, Midoriya," she says, then turns to Mirachi. "She doesn't have any more weapons but, well, that's what we thought when we first checked her."

"We'd better hurry, though," Ito says, rubbing his arm, "by the looks of it, it's almost noon, and we're not even in the village."

"Let's go then," Midoriya says, "this time, Mirachi and I can take her. You guys are hurt."

Misaki nods. With some reluctance, Ito does too, but not without sighing. 

They start to walk again, quickening their pace and not forgetting Misaki's words.

"Someone's next door . . . listening to us."

They keep their eyes open, and Midoriya can't help but mutter to himself.

"If someone's here, who could it be?  The prisoner's accomplice, come to break her out before her execution? Or something worse, perhaps? Another attack on the palace-?"

"Midoriya," Ito says from behind him, "I mean this in the nicest way possible, but could you shut up?"

"Sorry."

"I get you're nervous and all, but do you really—?"

"Shut up," Misaki barks. Ito's jaw snaps shut at her command.

"I hear it again," she mumbles, rubbing her temples. "Someone is here. I don't know . . . "

The prisoner smiles.

Then the walls come to her aid.

A/N:

so, if you haven't heard, I broke my right hand a few days ago (as of 4/18/2021), which means I will either be typing with one hand or having carson do it for me, but I managed to get this chapter done! 

I was in a four-wheeling incident, and it will take 1 to 2 months to heal (yikes) according to the doctor. 

Lesson learned: do not drive a vehicle up a very steep hill while 3 other people are riding with you. Additionally, when said vehicle flips on top of you, do not proceed to yell "I'm okay!" when you are, in fact, not okay.

See you next chapter, my dearest

stay safe, love yourself

-Carly