47 | Smile

◆ 

Dinner is extravagant, food fit for royalty, as you would expect from the palace chefs. 

The atmosphere is thick with silence, with the King at the head of the table. You and Shoto sit right beside each other, to the left of the king. 

When you walked in, King Todoroki pulled out a chair for you, but you sat by Shoto instead. 

The table is set like always, and everything is the same as usual, but the king is different. You can't place it, but there's something. 

When you first met him, he sat like a proud king with something to hide.

But now he looks tired.

You glance at him, waiting for him to start eating so you can. He doesn't move. Instead, he clears his throat.

"I hope you've enjoyed your stay so far, Princess Mizuki."

His voice is tense, as if he could be nervous. You glance at Shoto beside you, who is staring at his food. You don't want to be rude, especially since you're marrying into the family soon.

"Yes," you reply, "it has been quite the stay."

"Believe it or not, we don't usually have this many security compromises," the king says before laughing louder than necessary. 

You force a smile and rest your hand on your utensils, trying to remind him that you're here to eat, not to chat. He notices the gesture, you see his eyes flick to the movement of your hand, but he ignores it. 

The King smiles, too, but you can tell it's fake, because you're doing the same thing. Shoto isn't smiling at all.

You take your hand off of the table, your cheeks hurting, and look at your fiancé. He glances at you reassuringly, and you swear he smiles, before it disappears at the sound of his father's voice.

"So," the king says, interrupting your little moment, "Princess Mizuki."

You turn to him, not even giving the effort to look pleased at his presence. "Yes, Your Majesty?"

"Are you excited for the wedding?"

That's the one thing you're not sure what to say to. Should you lie? Tell the truth?

Now you're not even sure which is which.

You decide to go with the truth.

"Yes," you admit, looking at Shoto, "Yes, I am."

You turn back to the king, who nods, finally starting to eat. You smile at Shoto, the first genuine smile you've had all night.

Dinner was even more awkward than you expected it to be. 

King Todoroki didn't speak at all the rest of the time, only eating quietly. You think he wanted you to say something, but you won't give him the satisfaction.

Now you're waiting outside of the room. The King said he wanted to talk to Shoto. 

Fortunately for you, the doors are thin, and you could easily eavesdrop if you wanted to. But after what happened last time? You're not sure you want to.

But then you hear your name.

And so your press your ear to the door.

" . . . do you love her?"

The king's voice.

No reply, then Shoto's voice. 

"Why does it matter? I would have to marry her even if I didn't."

You pull away from the door. That's probably a conversation you shouldn't be hearing.

You silently squeal at the fact he didn't say no.

You step away from the door, pretending as if you heard nothing at all. A few moments later, Shoto emerges from the room. Before the door closes, you can see Endeavor behind him, sitting down with his head in his hands.

You smile at your fiancé. "Care to walk me back?"

He nods, but you see a hint of something in his eyes. Something familiar, but undecipherable. A hint of sadness, but at the same time, determination.

You don't want him to be sad.

"Come," you say, holding out your hand to him, "let's walk."

The sky is a deep black, stretching across the vast courtyard and what lies beyond it. The stars twinkle, as if winking down at the sleeping kingdom.

Your hand is in Shoto's, and you pause at a window to marvel at the glorious sight.

"It's beautiful," you whisper, more to yourself than your fiancé.

"Beautiful, indeed," he agrees. You were thinking of the stars, but you turn your head and see he's looking at you.

Your eyes linger on his. 

Your hands unclasp, and you long to feel his warmth again.

He brings his hand to your face.

Then brings his lips to yours.

Your bodies pressed against each other. 

Your hearts beating in sync.

Then he lets you go. In that brief moment of loss contact, you stare at each other, smiling and electrified. You bring your hands up to his face again, but he stops you.

"Anyone could see us here," he shyly says, referring to the open hall.

"Well," you giggle, "unless you want to go somewhere more private, let them watch. We're to be betrothed in less than a week, anyways."

Something sparks in his eyes, and suddenly he's pressed against you, harder than before. You're surprised, but you welcome the contact, wrapping your arms around his neck.

There's a sort of hunger in his touch, and he tastes like the dinner you had no more than half an hour ago.

Your heart is beating like crazy, and you bring your hands to his face.

But you stop kissing him when you hear a loud snap and the sound of something falling to the ground.

 ◆