Chapter 47: Awakening

Valerie’s POV:

I was trying to open my eyes, but I just didn’t have the strength to yet. I could hear what was going on around me and I really didn’t like what I heard.

I was slowly feeling stronger. Eventually, I was able to open my eyes. I looked around the room and my eyes adjusted to the lights. I looked over the edge of my bed and saw four of the boys surrounding a sofa, Louis laying on it.

“What’s going on?” I asked. I winced at the pain I felt when I talked. The four boys turned around.

“Valerie!” Harry nearly yelled as he hopped on one foot, abandoning his crutches, and pulled me in for a bone crushing hug.

“Haz! Haz! HARRY!” I said, trying to get him to let go of me, “Let go! You’re crushing me here!” He let go of me, chuckling a little bit.

“Sorry, just happy to see you’re alright,” he said.

“Now, what’s going on?” I asked, motioning to Louis. Liam took a step closer to me, and I couldn’t help but jump when he did. Harry gave me a confused look.

“Val? Are you okay?” he asked. I nodded slowly.

“I- I think so,” I said. I motioned for Harry to come closer and he leaned forward, “Could you, um, get them out of here? Louis can stay, but, I really need the others to go.” Harry backed away and nodded understandingly.

“Do you want me to get Danielle and Perrie here?” he asked. I nodded. Harry turned to the others.

“Niall, why don’t you go to the cafeteria? You must be hungry, you haven’t eaten all day. Zayn, Liam, could you call Danielle and Perrie and ask them to come here? Then you can join Niall in the cafeteria.” They nodded and followed Harry’s requests. When they were gone, Harry turned to me.

“I’m just wondering,” he said, “Why do you still want Louis and me to stay here? Not that I’m complaining or anything, but you don’t seem to trust guys right now.”

“Well,” I started, “You’re my brother. I know you’d do nothing to hurt me. And Louis, mostly because he pretty much went through what I did. He wouldn’t try anything. Not to mention he’s my boyfriend and I don’t think he’d stay away, no matter what anyone said. And, he’s ill; it’d be cruel to move him when he’s like this.” Harry nodded again and sat in a nearby chair. Louis moved and opened his eyes. When he saw me he grinned.

“Hey, you’re awake,” he said weakly. I smiled and nodded.

“Yeah,” I said, “How’re you?”

“I’ve had better days,” he said, “You?”

“I’m fine now,” I said, “Hey, how long have I been out?” I turned to Harry, who checked his watch.

“Let’s see,” he started, “You got here at around noon, the surgery was about three hours, blood tests another three, Louis donated blood and that took an hour, then another hour for the blood transfusion, so that’s around eight hours?” My eyes widened.

“Have you guys left the hospital at all?” I asked. Harry and Louis shook their heads. I rolled my eyes, “You guys must be exhausted.” They shook their heads.

“We took a few naps,” Harry said. Then, another thing he had said registered in my mind.

“Did you say Louis donated blood?” I asked. Harry nodded. I looked over at Louis, “Why?”

“The hospital was running low on your blood type,” he explained, “I was the only person available to give your blood type.”

“My blood type being…?”

“Type O.”

“And you were the only one who could give the blood?”

“Pretty much.” I smiled.

“Well thank you Louis,” I said, “It seems as though you have saved my life once again.” Louis frowned and looked at the ground.

“Your life wouldn’t have needed saving if it wasn’t for me,” he said. I raised an eyebrow.

“What are you talking about?” I asked. He looked up at me, his eyes glassy. I looked at Harry, who looked just as confused as I felt.

“Eleanor was after me,” Louis said, “If you weren’t with me this morning, you wouldn’t have been kidnapped with me. You wouldn’t have had to see Sam again, you wouldn’t have been shot, and you wouldn’t have been in danger.”

“Louis, it’s not your fault Eleanor’s a jealous bitch,” I said, in an effort to cheer him up.  He smiled a little, but it faded quickly.

“Louis, it’s not your fault,” Harry said, “Don’t be an idiot.” We sat in silence for a moment. I was grateful when the silence was broken by Danielle and Perrie barging into the room.

“You’re okay!” they squealed. Louis groaned and covered his ears.

“Sorry Louis!” Danielle said, “Glad to see you’re okay too though.”

“Yeah, yeah,” he said as he laid down and covered his face with a pillow.

“Dude,” Harry said, “You’ve already been nearly suffocated today. I don’t think covering your face with a pillow is the best idea right now.” Louis peeked out from under the pillow and glared at Harry. Danielle, Perrie, and I giggled when he threw the pillow at Harry and it hit him in the groin.

“Ooops,” Louis said sarcastically while Harry groaned. Louis winked at me and I laughed harder. Oh, how I love these two idiots…