Chapter 27: Missing

Valerie’s POV:

I was woken up by a knocking at the door. I tried to get up, but I couldn’t. Louis’s arms were still wrapped around my waist.

“Louis,” I said, hoping he’d start to wake up. No luck, “Louis, you gotta wake up.” Louis stirred, but just pulled me closer to him and tightened his grip. I sighed. There was another knock at the door.

“Come in,” I said, giving up on trying to get out of Louis’s arms. Harry and Liam opened the door. Harry raised an eyebrow and snorted while Liam was cracking up.

“Yeah, yeah, very funny,” I said, “Now, do you mind helping me?” Liam pulled Louis’s arms apart and I was able to wiggle loose. Liam was about to set Louis’s arms down.

“Wait,” Harry said. Liam gave him a questioning look but Harry just smirked and wiggled into my place in Louis’s arms. Liam rolled his eyes and I had to hold in my laughter. Harry motioned for me to wake Louis up. I walked over to the other side of the bed and leaned over Louis.

“Louis,” I said, “Time to wake up.” Louis grumbled and pulled Harry closer to him. Liam had to cover his mouth to keep from laughing.

“Louis, come on, they’ve got carrots downstairs waiting for you,” I said. Louis started waking up then.

“Val? Did you say carrots?” Louis mumbled. Damn, his morning voice…

“Yep,” I said, “Carrots. And, I think Kevin stopped by for a visit.”

“Kevin’s here too?” Louis said.

“Mhmm,” I hummed. Louis kissed the top of Harry’s head and Liam had to leave the room before he burst out laughing.

“Oh Louis!” Harry said in the girliest voice he could muster, “I love you!” Louis jumped and rolled off the bed. I couldn’t hold it in anymore; I laughed so hard my sides hurt. Louis sat up on the floor and glared at Harry.

“Come on Harry!” he yelled. Harry turned to him, waved, and ran as fast as he could out of the room. Louis shook his hair out and looked up at me.

“Was this your idea?” he asked.

“Nope,” I said, popping the ‘p’. He got up and brushed off his clothes. I was about to walk out of the room when he grabbed my waist and picked me up. I laughed as he twirled us around. He set me down and pulled me in for a hug.

“So,” he started, “Why don’t we go get some breakfast?” I nodded and we both headed downstairs to the kitchen.

Niall was already eating and Zayn had his head resting on the table. Niall looked up and saw us coming into the kitchen and poked Zayn’s arm. Zayn jumped and nearly fell out of his chair, then he saw Louis and I.

“Oh, good morning lovebirds,” Zayn said, “What’s up?”

"Nothing much,” Louis said, heading over to the fridge, “Harry just decided to pull a prank this morning.” Niall raised an eyebrow.

“Oh, and what would that prank have been?” he asked. Louis just shook his head, so Zayn and Niall turned to me for the answer. I shook my head as well.

Maybe later guys,” I said, taking a donut from one of the plates on the table, “Did we get any word from the police?” Niall and Zayn exchanged worried looks.

“About that…” Zayn started, but Harry and Liam came into the room before he could continue. Harry ruffled my hair and grabbed the donut from my hand.

“Hey!”

"Thanks for the donut, Val,” Harry said. I rolled my eyes.

“So Zayn,” I continued, “What were you going to say? Did we get a call from the police yet?” Harry, who had taken a bite out of the donut, started coughing and choking when I asked the question. Liam patted him on the back until he could breathe again.

"Yeah, um, about that…” Harry said, “Um, they called.” Louis turned to look at him and I raised an eyebrow.

“And?” I urged him to continue. He gulped.

“He got away,” Harry said, “They couldn’t find him at the shelter, at his house, or anywhere else they looked.”

I just stood there, motionless. Richard was still on the loose and he probably already knew that I was staying with the boys. Louis walked over to me and rubbed my back soothingly. Harry continued.

“They’re still going to look for him though,” he said, “They’re questioning anyone they know who has been in contact with him within the past forty eight hours. They will catch him Val, don’t worry.” I nodded and looked down at the ground, trying to hide the tear that had begun to fall. I heard the scraping of chairs and the sound of footsteps leaving the room, and when I looked up again, I found that Louis and I were alone.

“Shh, Val,” Louis said, “It’ll be fine; we’ll protect you. There’s no way I’ll let that bastard touch you, let alone get within a few feet of you.” I nodded and wiped the tear away. Louis wrapped an arm around me and grabbed me another donut, “Now, eat this donut and we’ll go out so you can get your mind off of Richard. We’ll even bring the other boys and Paul along if you want.”

"That’d be nice Louis, I’d like that,” I said, turning to face him, “Maybe we could go catch a movie or something like that.”

“Sounds good,” he said. He kissed me quick and ran upstairs to get dressed. I sighed, quickly finished the donut, and went upstairs to get ready for today.