Chapter 17: Gone

Louis’s POV:

I was sitting now, having lost all of my energy pacing. Harry and Niall still hadn’t gotten here yet, there was still no word on how Valerie was doing, and I was growing impatient. I was staring at the ground when I heard the doors slide open. I looked up and saw Harry and Niall walking up to the desk.

“Guys,” I said and they turned around.

“Louis, what’s going on?” Harry asked, his eyebrows furrowed, worry the dominant emotion on his face.

“She was bleeding, a lot,” I said. Harry’s face paled and Niall put his hand over his mouth, “She hasn’t eaten anything all day and she’s been having stomach pains.” Harry sat on one side of me and Niall sat on the other. Harry ran his fingers through his hair and Niall was staring at the ground.

“You think it’s the baby?” Harry asked.

“Probably is,” I replied. Harry nodded and went quiet. Niall went outside to call Zayn and Liam. I buried my hands in my face.

“I should have noticed sooner,” I said. I felt a hand on my shoulder and I looked up. Harry was looking at me.

“You couldn’t have known Louis,” he reminded me, “There was nothing you could have done to prevent it.” I nodded and looked back at the ground.

Niall came back in at the same time a doctor came into the room.

“For Valerie Styles?” she asked. Harry and I stood up and walked over to her. Niall was right behind us. She gave us a small smile and shook all of our hands.

“I’m Dr. Casey. I’ll explain to you what happened when we get to Valerie’s room.” She led us into a room and I saw Valerie lying on the bed. She was looking out the window, spacing out. When we entered the room, she turned to look at us and one corner of her mouth turned up.

“Hey guys,” she said. Harry and I went over to the bed and each took one of her hands.

“Hey love,” Harry said, “How’re you doing?”

“I’m feeling better,” she replied, “But, what…” Dr. Casey cleared her throat.

“Valerie, the stomach pains you were having were signs of miscarriage, I’m sorry, but the baby’s gone,” she said. Valerie nodded slowly, her face emotionless. I couldn’t help but think she almost looked relieved.

“If you feel strange at all, you let me know,” Dr. Casey said, “We’ll keep you here overnight, and if you’re doing alright in the morning, you’ll be free to go tomorrow.” Valerie nodded again and Dr. Casey left the room.

I studied Valerie’s face carefully, searching for any sign of tears, but there was nothing to be found. Harry did the same and looked at me. He then got up and pulled a confused Niall out of the room.

“Val, are you okay with this?” I asked looking intently into her face. She met my gaze and nodded.

“I wasn’t ready Louis,” she said, then she paused before beginning again, “Is it wrong for me to be relieved?” I shook my head. I didn’t see any reason why it would be wrong, considering the circumstances.

“No,” I said, “I can see why you’re relieved, I don’t blame you.” She sighed. Harry and Niall came back into the room, followed by Liam and Zayn. Liam went right up to Valerie and pulled her in for a hug.

“I’m sorry Val,” he whispered. She hugged him back and when he pulled back, she said, “It’s okay Liam, I’m fine.” He smiled at her and moved out of the way for Zayn to give her a hug.

The boys and I stayed there for an hour; the entire time, I didn’t let go of Valerie’s hand. After that, Liam said we had to go. The boys had left already and I was about to get up and follow them when Valerie spoke.

“Hey, Lou,” Valerie said, “Could you stay here for the night?” I gave her what I hope was a reassuring smile and squeezed her hand.

“Sure Val,” I said. I sent a quick text to Harry, telling him I was staying with Valerie. She then scooted over to the side of the bed and patted the spot next to her. I climbed up next to her and we both laid down and talked until our eyes drifted closed and we fell asleep.