Chapter 36: Causes

Valerie’s POV:

The doctor came into the room and sat down on the stool.

“Alright,” he said, “Well, I’ve looked at the images and it looks like you have a kidney stone.” What?

“And that means?” Louis asked.

“It means that there is a formation of calcium in your kidney,” the doctor explained, “It could be caused by eating too much salt, not drinking enough water, or genetics.”

“And how do you get rid of it?” Harry asked.

“You let it pass,” the doctor said, “All we can do right now, is give her pain meds and make her as comfortable as possible until the stone passes.”

“And if it doesn’t pass?” Harry asked again.

“She could have kidney or renal failure. Then, surgery would be needed.” Harry nodded and continued to talk to the doctor. Meanwhile, Louis was rubbing my back, trying to soothe me. After the doctor handed a prescription note and something in a bag to Harry, we were free to go. The pain hadn’t subsided yet, so Louis carried me out to the car again.

On the way back to the flat, Harry picked up the prescription pain meds. He also swung by McDonalds and ordered a small drink and some chips. He handed them to me.

“Eat these. You need to eat something before you take the pain meds,” he said. I ate the chips and Harry passed the pill bottle to Louis, who took one out and gave it to me. I quickly popped the pill into my mouth and took a drink. Soon after, my eyelids began to feel heavy again and I fell asleep.

I was woken when Louis picked me up to carry me into the flat.

“Sorry I woke you love,” he said, “Go back to sleep alright?” I nodded weakly and tried to fall asleep again, but I couldn’t. We walked into the flat and I heard people running. I opened my eyes and saw Liam, Niall, and Zayn run up to us.

“Hey Val,” Liam said, “You feeling any better?”

“Mhmm,” I hummed, too tired to talk. I closed my eyes and just listened to the boys talk.

“They gave her some pain meds,” Louis said, “And said we just have to let it pass.”

“What caused the pain?” Niall asked.

“Kidney stone,” Louis replied, “You were right about it having to do with her kidney, Liam.” It was silent for a moment. Louis began walking again and soon he set me down on the sofa. I curled into a ball, shivering a little. Why was I so cold? I heard Louis’s soft chuckle and soon he picked me up again and sat down, setting me in his lap. I smiled and snuggled closer to him, letting him warm me up. In a few moments, I stopped shivering.

The boys talked for a few minutes. One by one, they left, until it was just Harry, Louis, and me. I opened my eyes a little so I could see what was going on. Harry was whispering something to Louis and Louis nodded. Harry handed him the bag the doctor had given him.

“Don’t forget,” Harry reminded him.

“I won’t.”

Harry turned to look at me and I closed my eyes again. He kissed my forehead and I heard him walk upstairs. It was just Louis and me now.

After a few moments of silence, I opened my eyes and looked up to see Louis. He’d been watching me.

“What time is it?” I asked, rubbing my eyes. Louis smiled tiredly.

“Three in the morning,” he replied.

“Why are we still on the sofa?” I asked, sitting up and sliding off of his lap. Louis rubbed the back of his neck uncomfortably.

“To be honest,” he started, “I’m a little afraid to move you. I don’t want you to be cold, and I definitely don’t want to hurt you.” I rolled my eyes and kissed his cheek.

“I appreciate your concern,” I said, “But Louis, I have a kidney stone, not broken ribs. I’ll be fine. Now, why don’t we go to bed?” He looked at me for a moment, smiled, then nodded. I was about to get up when he scooped me up in his arms and began carrying me up the stairs.

“You know, I can walk,” I said. He just shook his head.

“I’m carrying you,” he said, “That’s final.”

“It can’t be that easy carrying me up the stairs.”

“Love, it’s easy,” he said. He paused, thinking for a moment, “Actually, it’s a little too easy if you ask me. I thought we were trying to build up your strength again, have you been eating much at all?”

I bit my lip; the truth was, not really. The boys had been trying to get me to eat more, and I had actually gained a few pounds since I came here. At least I wasn’t skin and bones anymore. But I just couldn’t bring myself to eat much anymore. Maybe a crisp here and there, a few bites of whatever the boys were having for dinner, but that was it. But it got worse about a week ago. Louis seemed to read my mind, like only he could.

“Why?” he asked, his voice full of concern, and… was that pain? I looked up at him and when I saw his glassy eyes, I had to tell him. I just couldn’t lie to him again.

“Well…” I said as we reached my bedroom, “It was about two weeks ago, when I first got my twitter…”