Chapter 38: MSG

Valerie’s POV:

“YEAH! I’VE BEEN WATCHING YOU ALL NIGHT,
THERE’S SOMETHING IN YOUR EYES,
SAYING C’MON, C’MON, AND DANCE WITH ME BABY!”

“Could you guys be any louder?” I yelled over Louis, Liam, and Harry’s screaming, covering my ears. Zayn, Niall, and I were laughing, watching those three hip thrusting to their song. Niall was recording all of this.

“You shouldn’t have said that!” Niall yelled over the lyrics.

“Why?” I asked.

“YEAH! THE MUSIC IS SO LOUD!!” Louis started screaming the lyrics at the top of his lungs. I covered my ears.

“That’s why!” Niall yelled. At least, that’s what I think he said, I couldn’t exactly hear him…

Harry, for some reason, decided that jumping over the sofa was a good idea. He leaped over the back of the sofa and landed with a big thud. Louis and Liam free styled.

We had gotten to New York a few hours ago and the boys were rehearsing, which I soon found out meant actually working for maybe half an hour, then spending the rest of the time goofing around like this.

Louis struck a pose and they stopped dancing. He walked up to me and kissed my cheek. Someone’s phone went off and Liam immediately checked his. He began typing away furiously and I glanced at Louis, who just shrugged.

“What do you think-” I was about to ask when the stabbing pain in my right side began again. I winced and Louis rubbed my back soothingly.

“Hey, Harry?” Louis called over to him, “Do you have Val’s pain meds?”

“Hang on one moment,” Harry groaned, slowly standing up from behind the sofa, “My right side’s killing me.” Louis and Niall exchanged glances and started laughing.

“What?” Harry and I asked in unison. Zayn snorted and Louis was doubled over laughing. Harry stood up, holding his side.

“Have you two always been like this?” Niall asked, wiping tears from his eyes, “I mean the whole knowing when each other is hurt thing?” Harry stiffened and I immediately knew what he was thinking.

“Not always,” Harry hissed. The boys stopped laughing. It was silent for a moment except for the sounds of Liam texting. I broke the silence.

“Could someone please get me the pain meds?” I asked. Harry shuffled over to his things and brought out my pain meds and a bag of crisps. He tossed the crisps to me and the pill bottle to Louis. I ate one crisp and held out my hand for a pill. Louis shook his head.

“Eat more,” he said. I rolled my eyes. I ate one more and held out my hand again.

“I’ll eat the rest after I take the pill,” I said. He nodded and handed a pill to me. I popped it in my mouth and took a drink.

Liam started cheering and jumping up and down, not looking up once from his phone. We all turned to look at him. Niall took hold of his shoulders and stopped his jumping.

“What are you so excited about?” Harry asked. Liam looked up from his phone, a smile spreading across his face.

“Danielle and I are together again,” he said, “She’s meeting us at the concert.”

“You must be Valerie, I’m Danielle.” I held out my hand to shake hands with Danielle, but she just pulled me in for a hug, “So, you’re Louis’s new girl, hmm?” Danielle asked. I nodded. Louis snuck up behind me and tickled my sides, making me jump and squeal.

“Louis!”

“Hey, love,” he said, smirking. I rolled my eyes and kissed his cheek.

“Aww! You two are so cute together!” Danielle squealed. I laughed and began to push Louis to the dressing room.

“Go on Louis! Lou’s waiting for you,” I said. He turned around just outside the dressing room door and kissed me.

“I love you Val,” he said.

“Love you too,” I said. He walked into the dressing room and the door closed. I turned back to Danielle. She was smiling and she looked like one of the boys’ fans, trying not to fangirl.

“Oh my God,” she squeaked, “Like I said, so cute!!”

“Thanks, but what about you and Liam?” I asked, “What happened there?” She explained to me how their schedules just didn’t agree and they never got to see each other. They had begun to realize recently, that they loved each other too much to stay apart.

“Aw!” Now I was the one trying not to fangirl, “That’s so sweet!” Before Danielle could answer, someone tapped my shoulder. I spun around and came face to face with a purple headed Perrie.

“Hey you two!” she said, “Sorry I’m late!” Danielle and I pulled her in for a hug just as the boys came out of their dressing room.

“Perrie!” Zayn called. He ran to Perrie, picked her up, and twirled her around before setting her down and kissing her. I heard Harry and Niall gag.

“Boys! You’re on in five!” a stage manager called. Danielle pretty much tackled Liam as Louis pulled me in for a hug.

“Wish me luck out there tonight,” he said. They had finally made it to Madison Square Gardens; it was basically their dream come true. But I had a bad feeling about tonight, and I couldn’t put my finger on it.

“You’ll do fine out there,” I said, half reassuring myself, “But, just for good measure, good luck.” I kissed him.

“Boys, positions!” another stage manager called out. Louis smiled at me and waved as he walked to the side of the stage. Their introduction started to play and I could hear the fans’ screams grow louder. They ran onto the stage and began to sing their first song.

“C’mon, let’s get a better view,” Perrie suggested. We found a good spot at the side of the stage and watched the whole concert. I relaxed a little, seeing that everything was going good. I probably was just being paranoid.

Before What Makes You Beautiful, they ran backstage to change one last time. As Louis ran by, he kissed my cheek, then he ran back on stage. I smiled.

I watched them sing WMYB until Harry’s solo. The boys positioned themselves near the edge of the stage and gathered around Harry as he began to sing.

“Baby you light up my world like nobody else,
The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed,
But when you smile at the ground it ain’t hard to tell,
You don’t know-ow-ow,
You don’t know you’re beautiful.”

That’s when everything fell apart.

All of a sudden there was a bang, a gunshot. The fans were screaming and security was running into the crowd. I didn’t pay attention to any of this though.

All I paid attention to, was Harry falling to the floor of the stage.