Chapter 19: So Close...

Valerie’s POV:

I was leaving Harry’s room, his laptop under my arm. I looked down the hall and saw Louis leaving Liam’s room. He saw me, smiled, and waved and I waved back.

“So, whatcha up to?” he asked, skipping down the hall to meet me.

“Not much,” I replied, “Just familiarizing myself with Twitter.” I held up Harry’s laptop.

“Cool,” Louis said, “Hey, you wanna do something later?”

“Sure,” I replied, “What did you have in mind?” He just smiled.

“You’ll see!” he said and walked away.

It was later that afternoon and all the boys but Louis were out.

I was sitting on the sofa, trying to watch The Hunger Games. I had become obsessed with that movie in the past month, but Louis kept bugging me to go outside on the balcony with him.

“Please, please, please, please, please…” he whined, nonstop. Finally, I gave in.

“Fine!” I said, entirely done with Louis’s persistent nagging. He clapped in the most childish way ever and I couldn’t help but laugh. He grabbed my hand and led me outside to the balcony.

“Why are we out-” I started, but stopped when I saw what was set up.

Two poles and two bands of elastic with a basket attached to the ends.

“Um, what is this?” I turned to Louis, who was grinning.

“We’re going to have a little fun,” he said. I was confused, until I saw the bucket of water balloons.

“Louis…”

“C’mon! No one’s gonna get hurt!” he said, “Maybe just a little wet.” He picked a balloon from the bucket and placed it in the basket. He pulled the elastic back and let go.

The balloon flew high in the sky then began its descent back to earth. Louis and I looked over the edge of the balcony and watched as the balloon exploded on the pavement. A man near it jumped and looked around, frantically searching for where the balloon had come from. Louis and I couldn’t hold in our laughter anymore.

“The look on his face!” Louis was trying to catch his breath and I was doubled over.

“Can I try?” I asked once we were both able to breathe again.

“Sure,” Louis said, grabbing another balloon and handing it to me. I set it in the basket and began to pull it back. Louis grabbed the basket and helped me pull it back. We let go and we quickly looked over the edge of the balcony again. I scanned the crowd below and something caught my eye.

“Uh oh,” I breathed. Louis looked over to me. The balloon had begun to fall back to earth and I saw where it would hit.

“What?” he asked. I pointed to Harry, Liam, Niall, and Zayn, who were walking back home.

The balloon was falling and I watched as it exploded over Zayn’s head, soaking him, and the rest of the boys. Louis and I quickly ran inside and ran up to my room. Louis had sat on my bed and was laughing harder than I had ever seen him laugh before.

“Are you kidding me?” I asked, “When they get home, we are so dead!” Louis couldn’t stop laughing.

“Oh, calm down!” Louis managed to say, “It’s not the end of the world.” A smile had begun to grow on my face and I started to laugh as well. I sat down next to him on my bed and we just laughed for a while.

We had calmed down enough to breathe and we just sat for a while, waiting for the boys to barge into the house. Louis and I looked at each other and I stared into his eyes, finding myself lost in them. Louis was leaning closer to me and I found myself leaning in as well. Our lips were just about to touch when…

My door burst open and a very mad, very wet Harry, Liam, Niall and Zayn were glaring at us.