Chapter 6: The Break

Louis’s POV:

A couple hours after she woke up, Valerie and Harry's family arrived at the hospital and the boys and I stayed towards the back of the room to let them have their moment. The police had already talked to Valerie and Harry and had left to go and try to find the guy who did this with the information they gave them.

I looked at Valerie. She seemed okay with everything now. She was finally reunited with her family and she was finally happy.

Gemma and Mr. and Mrs. Styles left after a couple more hours, leaving Harry behind to look after Valerie. It had been arranged that Valerie would be living with us for as long as she wanted, and the boys and I were all fine with that. Liam, Niall, and Zayn left so that they could prepare the guest room for Valerie and I stayed behind with Harry.

I pulled up a chair next to Valerie’s bed and sat down in it. She looked over to me and flinched a little. I sighed.

“Valerie,” I started, “Do you want to tell Harry and I exactly what happened to you?” She gulped and looked up at the ceiling. Harry’s eyebrows furrowed.

“You don’t have to right now if you don’t want to,” he said, taking her hand and sending me a look that clearly said 'don't upset my sister'. I held my hands up and backed the chair up. I never was really good with respecting boundaries. She looked back at Harry and shook her head.

“No, he's right, you should know,” she sighed, “I never got a good glimpse of who he was. He never took off his mask. He would feed me maybe once or twice a week. Every day, sometimes more than once, he would beat me. He would use anything at his disposal. Whips, wooden boards, you name it. Some days, he would even…” Her voice faltered and she stopped talking. Harry looked mad now, like he wanted to strangle someone.

“He would even what?” he urged her on, his voice cold. She took a deep breath.

“He would rape me.” Harry’s eyes burned with hatred towards the man who did this. He was shaking with rage.

“I’ll- I’ll be right back,” he said. He slowly got up and walked out of the room. I peeked out of the window and saw that Harry was already outside. He was nearly pulling his hair out. He paced back and forth a bit before he kicked one of the concrete building supports, hard. He started hopping on one foot and, despite the situation, I couldn’t help laughing.

“Harry’s still got a temper I see,” Valerie said, having seen what happened outside. I nodded, still laughing. She was chuckling too. A few minutes later Harry limped back into the room with the doctor right behind him.

"Ms. Styles, your brother told me that you were raped. Is this true?” Valerie nodded, “Alright, we’re going to have to perform some tests to make sure there’s nothing wrong. Could you two lads wait out in the waiting room?” I got up and walked to the door. Harry was about to follow me, but the doctor stopped him, “You might want to get that foot checked out Mr. Styles, kicking concrete that hard can do some serious damage.” The doctor must've seen Harry outside. Harry nodded and when we were out of the room his foot couldn’t take his weight anymore. I had to support him as we went to find a nurse.

After a minute or two, we finally found a nurse and she helped me bring Harry into one of the empty rooms and we sat him down on the table. She took his shoe and sock off and began to examine his foot. I just crossed my arms and shook my head at him.

“What?” he asked, clearly pissed and in pain.

"You kicked a solid concrete support Harry.” 

“Yeah, so?” The nurse stood up.

“So, it looks like you broke your foot, we’ll need to get you down to the x-rays,” the nurse said. Harry groaned. He hobbled over to the wheelchair and the nurse rolled him away. I took out my phone and called Liam.

“Hey Louis,” Liam answered.

“Hey Liam, you may want to bring some of Harry’s stuff downstairs to the sofa.”

“Why?” Liam asked hesitantly.

“He broke his foot.”

“How?”

“Kicked a concrete support,” I chuckled. There was silence for a few seconds, then Liam started laughing.

“Why’d he do that?” he said, still laughing. I didn’t answer for a minute. Liam stopped laughing, “Louis, what happened?”

“Valerie explained what happened,” I said.

“And?”

“She was raped.” Liam was silent for a moment.

“God damn it,” he spit out.

“I know,” I sighed, “She’s having some tests done now too.” Liam didn’t speak for another minute.

“I’m going to come down there now,” he said, “I don’t think Harry or Valerie should be alone right now.”

“I agree. Can Niall and Zayn handle fixing the room by themselves?”

“They should be able to; I’ll also tell them to fix the downstairs for Harry.”

“Alright, see you in a few Liam.”

“Yep, see you in a bit.” I was about to end the call when something came to mind.

“Oh, wait, Liam.”

“Hm?”

“Valerie doesn’t have anything to wear.”

“That’s right! I’ll call Lou and see if she can get some clothes for her.”

“Alright, call her before you come down here then.”

“Alright, bye Louis.”

“Bye Liam.” I ended the call and a couple minutes later, the nurse came back into the room with Harry.

“I was right, broken foot.” Harry turned bright red and I cracked up.

“That’s what you get for kicking a concrete support Harry!”

"Yeah, yeah, I know.” He hid his face in his hands, and I just laughed harder.