Chapter 40: Plans Unfold

Valerie’s POV:

“They- they caught her?” I stuttered.

“Yeah, she’s being interrogated now,” Louis said. Niall jumped out of his bed, grabbed Louis’s hands, and they both jumped up and down, cheering.

“Guys,” I said, “I know you’re happy, but you’re gonna break something!”

“We don’t care!” Niall cheered.

“This means we get to see Harry!” Louis said. I had been trying to contain my excitement, but when Louis said that, I cheered. I ran up to him and kissed him.

“Guys,” Niall said, mocking me, “I know you’re happy, but I don’t want to see this!” Niall covered his eyes and turned around. We broke apart and laughed.

“Could you text Paul and see if we can see Harry?” I asked. Louis nodded and texted Paul. Almost immediately, Paul responded and when Louis read the message, he rose an eyebrow.

“What?” I asked.

“He says that I can’t go,” Louis said. Niall raised his eyebrows.

“Why?” he asked. Louis was already texting Paul again. The response came quickly again and Louis read it.

“What the hell is ‘new information’ supposed to mean?” he asked angrily. He started texting Paul again. The door opened and Zayn, Perrie, Liam, and Danielle walked in.

“So we’re allowed to leave the hotel now,” Liam said, checking his texts.

“Not Louis,” I said. Zayn and Liam looked at each other, confused.

“Why not?” Zayn asked.

“We don’t know,” Niall said, “That’s just what Paul said.” Louis huffed and continued to text Paul.

“I’m sure he has a good reason Louis,” Liam said. Louis phone buzzed again and he opened the text. His face paled.

“Yep, I’d call that a good reason,” he whispered. I scooted closer to him and looked at his phone.

From: Paul
You can’t leave because the girl let slip she has a partner. Her partner’s after you.

“Shit,” I whispered, my eyes going wide. Liam grabbed Louis’s phone and read the text. He passed the phone to the others and Louis fell back on the bed and stared at the ceiling. I walked over to the window of the hotel room and looked outside after everyone had read the text.

“We’ll stay with you while this gets sorted out Louis,” I said, “So you’re not alone.” The others nodded in agreement and Louis smiled weakly.

“You don’t have to do that you guys,” he said, “Besides Val, you should go visit Harry.”

“We’ll go with,” Liam volunteered, motioning to himself and Danielle.

“I suppose,” I said hesitantly. I hugged Louis, “Just be safe, okay?” He nodded.

There was a shattering of glass and something grazed my arm. Danielle and Perrie screamed and the boys yelled.

“What the fuck?” Zayn yelled.

“Val, your arm,” Niall said. I looked at my arm and saw blood. I rolled up my sleeve and saw that it was just a scratch.

“It’s only a scrape,” I said. There was a knock at the door and Liam opened the door. Paul and another security guard came into the room.

“What happened? Is everyone alright?” he asked. Louis looked furious. He turned and looked at the wall, which had a bullet hole in it.

“That’s what happened,” he said, pointing to the hole in the wall. Paul looked from the bullet hole to the window.

“We’re moving you to a room without a window,” he said. The other security guard grabbed Louis and led him out of the room, “Is everyone okay?”

“Yeah,” Liam said, “The bullet grazed Val’s arm though.” Paul nodded.

“Liam, Danielle, Valerie, go and visit Harry. Valerie, while you’re there, get your arm checked out,” Paul said. I nodded and followed Liam and Danielle out of the room.

Louis’s POV:

I was sitting on the bed, arms crossed, pouting. Zayn, Perrie, and Niall kept me company while Liam, Danielle, and Val were with Harry.

“Don’t take this the wrong way guys,” I said, “But why only me and Harry? Why not the rest of you too?” Zayn and Niall shrugged.

“I don’t know,” Niall said, “But that’s just how it is. The only thing we can do about it is wait for Flack’s partner to be caught.” That’s right, he said Flack. The girl who shot Harry, her name was Casey Flack, Caroline’s niece.

My phone buzzed and I opened the text from Val.

From: Val <3
Harry is being released right now; we’ll be at the hotel soon. Love you babe! xx

I smiled and replied.

To: Val <3
Awesome! Love you too! xx

“Harry’s being released,” I said. Zayn smiled.

“Awesome,” he said. He thought for a moment before talking again, “Do you think he’ll get to keep the bullet?”

“Zayn!” Perrie exclaimed, hitting his arm.

“Ow!” Zayn exclaimed, “What?” Perrie rolled her eyes and winked at me before turning away from Zayn. I snorted as Zayn tried getting Perrie to look at him. I grabbed the TV remote and began flipping through channels.

I did this for the next half hour, finding absolutely nothing to watch. I threw the remote to the side and laid back on the bed. I swear, if they don’t find Flack’s partner soon, I’ll go insane. Just then, there was a knock on the door. Niall cracked the door open and smiled.

“Hey! Harry!” Niall opened the door and let everyone in. Harry hobbled in on crutches. Liam, Danielle, and Val followed him in. Val had a bandage on her arm.

“I thought it was just a scrape,” I said, raising an eyebrow.

“Apparently not,” Liam said, “She needed stitches.”

Val sat next to me and kissed my cheek. I wrapped my arms around her waist, pulled her closer to me, and I kissed her lips softly.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered to her. She looked at me confused.

“Why?”

“You wouldn’t have needed stitches if it wasn’t for me.” She just rolled her eyes.

“It’s not your fault you have a psycho with a gun after you,” she said.

“So Harry,” Zayn spoke up, “You hear about Casey?” I looked at Harry and saw him nod.

“Yeah,” he said, “She was probably pissed that I ended things with Caroline.” He looked at me, “Did you hear anything about her partner yet?” I shook my head.

“Paul said we’d be the first to know when they found something."