Chapter 16: Pain

Louis’s POV:

It’s been a month since that interview. That next interview, Valerie was able to come on stage with us and answer a few questions. She had been introduced to our fans and it seemed like they were accepting her. Harry had lost the crutches and was wearing a boot now and Valerie was able to take off her wrist brace. She still had scars, but they were slowly fading away.

Valerie and I have become extremely close. Whenever the boys and I aren’t at an interview, signing, or concert, I’m spending time with Valerie. And every minute, every second I spend with her, I fall more and more in love with her. Every once and a while, I would steal glances her way, and when she would look my way, I would look away. But I could swear, sometimes, she would look at me and do the same as I did.

She still hadn’t accepted the fact that in a few short months, she would be a mother. Let alone the mother of the child of the man who had raped her. I could tell that she wasn’t ready for this. I had found her crying a few times. I didn’t know if her tears were caused by the hormones or by the stress this was causing her.

Today, Harry and Niall had an interview, and Liam and Zayn were out for the day, leaving Valerie and I alone in the house. Valerie hadn’t been feeling well. Her stomach hurt and she didn’t want to eat or even get out of bed.

It was around nighttime. I decided to take a quick look in Valerie’s room and I saw her curled up into a ball under the covers. She was asleep, but she really didn’t look comfortable. It hurt me to see her in pain like this, and I couldn’t do anything to help her.

I went over to the bed and softly shook her awake.

“Val, wake up love,” I said, “C’mon, you need to eat something.” She opened her eyes, sat up, and looked at me. Her eyes were bloodshot, like she had cried herself to sleep. I gave her a weak smile and she sighed.

“I guess,” she said quietly. I grabbed a hold of her hands and helped her up. We were just about to walk out the door when something caught my eye. I turned back to her bed and saw the covers covered with blood. Valerie looked back at the bed and her eyes widened.

“Lou…” she said, her voice was beginning to shake. I took a closer look at her face and saw that she was really pale. How much blood had she lost? How had I not noticed this before?

“Val, we’re getting you to the hospital. Now,” I said. She nodded, but she didn’t move, “Val, come on,” I pleaded. She wouldn’t move.

Finally, I picked her up and carried her out to my car. I rushed over to the driver’s side and started the car. I backed out of the driveway and we were off to the hospital.

The ride there seemed to take hours instead of the fifteen minutes it actually took, but when we got there, I wasted no time in carrying her to the emergency room. I went right up to the desk and the nurse glanced up at us.

“Can I help you?” she asked. Are you kidding me?!? My thoughts screamed I’m carrying a bleeding girl and you’re asking me if you can help?!? I refrained from yelling at her and just replied as calm as I could.

“She’s bleeding,” I said.

“Alright sir, we’ll be with you in a few minutes.” The nurse went back to typing on her computer and I stared at her, anger building.

“She’s pregnant,” I mentioned. The nurse looked up and finally took some action. She brought over a wheelchair and I set Valerie into the wheelchair. She was even paler than she was at home.

“You’ll need to stay here sir,” she said and I nodded. She rolled Valerie away and I paced the waiting room. I was earning stares from the other people waiting, but I didn’t care. I was just worried about her.

My phone buzzed in my pocket and I looked at the caller ID. It was Harry.

Okay, maybe I forgot to tell him…

I answered it.

“Hello?” I asked, heading outside.

“Hey Louis, Niall and I are on our way home now,” he said. I hesitated.

“Um, you may want to come to the hospital first.” Harry was silent for a moment.

“Why? What’s going on?” Harry asked, sounding panicked.

“It’s Valerie,” I started, “Just get down to the hospital and I’ll explain it to you when you get here.”

“Lou-”

“Just hurry, okay?” I interrupted. I heard him sigh and give instructions to someone.

“We’ll be there in a few,” he said, and hung up. I pressed end and I headed back inside.