Chapter 39: Escape and Stay Hidden

Valerie’s POV:

“HARRY!” I cried out. I tried to run onto the stage, but Danielle and Perrie grabbed my arms.

“It’s too dangerous Valerie,” Perrie said, “Security will get this sorted out, okay?” Her voice broke at the last word. I turned to see a tear fall down her cheek. Danielle looked over my head, looking at the boys. She was crying too. The other boys were being rushed off of the stage by security. They were a little shaken up, but otherwise unharmed. As soon as they were backstage, Liam, Zayn, and Louis ran to us girls. Louis wrapped his arms around me and I buried my face into his chest, letting the tears fall.

“Shh,” he hushed, “He’ll be okay Val.”

“But-”

“It was his leg, he was shot in the leg, it’s not fatal,” he said and I knew as he said this that he wasn’t just trying to calm me down, but reassure the others as well. I calmed down, but I didn’t stop crying. I turned to look at the other boys. They all looked fine, but something caught my eye and I looked down.

“Niall,” I said, “Is that blood?” I pointed to the leg of his trousers. He looked down and the others turned to look as well.

“It’s not mine,” he said, his voice quivering. I closed my eyes and took at shaky breath. Danielle was watching the stage.

“He’s backstage now,” she said, “On the other side.”

“Alright,” Paul said, coming around the corner, “We need to get all of you out of here.”

“But what about Harry?” Louis asked.

“Medics are taking care of him, but right now, we need to make sure the rest of you get out of here safely,” he said. He motioned for three other security guards to take up the rear and he led us outside. We were immediately swarmed by paps. They were throwing questions at us and it was almost impossible to hear the separate questions, but I managed to hear a few.

“Is Harry going to be alright?”

“Have you caught the person who shot him?”

“Is it true that Payzer is back?”

“Valerie, is your brother going to be okay?”

We did our best to ignore the questions the paps threw at us. As we made our way to the van, an ambulance sped away, lights flashing, siren blaring. Two of the security guards went to either side of us and Paul opened the door of the van.

“Hurry guys,” he said. We hopped into the van as fast as we could. Paul and one of the security guards climbed in after us and we drove away. The ride to the hotel was a long and silent one. No one spoke.

We arrived at the hotel and Paul got out first to make sure no fans were around. He motioned for us to get out of the van and we ran into the lobby. We took the elevator to our rooms and when we reached the doors we split off. Zayn and Perrie went into one room, Liam and Danielle went into another, and Louis and I were about to go to one of the others when I looked to Niall. He was still shaking and by the look on his face, I could tell he didn’t want to be alone in his room.

“Hey, Louis,” I said. He turned around.

“Yeah?” I pointed to Niall. Louis looked at him and gave a small smile.

“Niall, you wanna stay in our room for a while?” Louis asked. Niall nodded and the three of us walked into the room. I fell back on the bed and stared up at the ceiling. I was really worried about Harry. I mean, what if the bullet hit an artery? He would bleed out…

I shook my head, clearing my head of the negative thoughts. I couldn’t think like that, it would only stress me out more. I sat up and rested my head in my hands.

“Can’t we go to see him?” I asked. Louis gave me an apologetic smile and shook his head.

“Paul’s not gonna let us leave,” he said. His and Niall’s phones buzzed and they checked it.

“Actually, he said until they catch whoever shot Harry, we’re not allowed to be either out of his sight or out of our hotel rooms,” Niall said, “Hey, maybe he or one of the other guards could check up on him.”

“Good idea Nialler,” Louis said, and he texted Paul. I turned on the TV for a distraction while I waited for Paul’s response. The TV was already on a news channel.

“Breaking News: Harry Styles of One Direction was shot during their concert tonight at Madison Square Gardens. Police are still looking for the shooter and there is no word on Styles’s condition…” I quickly switched channels and skipped any news programs. I was trying to forget what happened tonight, not have it permanently etched into my brain. Louis’s phone buzzed and he checked the text.

“Paul’s sending one of the guards to stay there with him and keep us updated,” he said. I nodded and laid down again. I closed my eyes and waited for sleep to come, but it evaded me. I kept my eyes closed for what seemed like hours, yet, I couldn’t fall asleep.

I felt the bed shift and the lights turned off. I opened my eyes and looked around. Niall had fallen asleep on the bed on the other side of the room and Louis was laying next to me.

“Can’t sleep?” he asked. I shook my head, “Neither can I.”

“Nor I,” Niall piped up. Louis turned the television to the Discovery Channel and we watched Mythbusters. Jamie was just about to press the button to set off an explosion when Louis’s phone went off. He pulled out his phone and read the text. He immediately jumped off of the bed and started cheering.

“What’s going on?” Niall asked.

“They caught her! They caught the girl that shot Harry!”