Chapter 34: Finding Your Voice

Valerie's POV:           

I pressed my ear against the door and listened.

She’s not afraid of all the attention,” Louis sang,
She’s not afraid of runnin’ wild, 
How come she’s so afraid of fallin’ in lo-o-o-o-ove?

I smiled. That was one of my favorite songs from their new album. I’ve been listening to it not stop.

She’s not afraid of scary movies, 
She likes the way we kiss in the dark, 
But she’s so afraid of fa-fa-falling in lo-o-o-o-ove.”

I knocked on the door and Louis stopped singing. I heard some shuffling and Louis opened the door. He smiled when he saw me.

“Hello, love,” he said, his grin spreading across his face.

“Hi Louis,” I said, returning the grin, “May I come in?” Louis moved aside and I walked into the room. My jaw dropped as I looked around.

This is now my favorite room.

There were numerous musical instruments lying around the room. Guitars, pianos, you name it. At the back of the room, there was a sound proof room for the boys to record if they wanted to.

“I take it you like this room?” Louis said. I nodded, “Do you play any instruments?”

“A couple,” I said. When I was seven, I took piano lessons and when I was ten, I started playing the guitar, “Just piano and guitar.”

“Mind playing something?” Louis asked. He folded his hands and batted his eyelashes. I giggled and nodded.

“Sure, it’s been a while but I could try,” I said. I picked up the guitar and played a few chords. I thought for a moment about what to play and then it came to me. I started playing and Louis smiled when he recognized the tune. He pulled up a chair and sat beside me. I started singing.

Your hand fits in mine like it’s made just for me,
But bear this in mind it was meant to be,
And I’m joining up the dots with the freckles on your cheeks,
And it all makes sense to me,
I know you’ve never loved 
The crinkles by your eyes when you smile,
You’ve never loved your stomach or your thighs,
The dimples in your back at the bottom of your spine
But I’ll love them endlessly.

Louis smiled and scooted his chair closer to me.

I won’t let these little things slip out of my mouth
But if I do, it’s you,
It’s you they add up to
I’m in love with you, and all your little things.

I glanced up at Louis, now confident I could play the right notes without looking. I saw him staring at me as he began to sing.

You can’t go to bed, without a cup of tea, 
And maybe that’s the reason that you talk in your sleep,
And all those conversations are the secrets that I keep
And it makes no sense to me.
I know you’ve never loved the sound of your voice on tape,
You never want to know how much you weigh,
You still have to squeeze into your jeans, but
You’re perfect to me.

I won’t let these little things slip out of my mouth
But if I do, it’s you,
It’s you they add up to
I’m in love with you, and all your little things.

I looked back down at the guitar for the next part.

You’ll never love yourself half as much as I love you,
You’ll never treat yourself right darling, but I want you to,
If I let you know-o-ow, I’m here, for you
Maybe you’ll love yourself like I, love you, oh.

I looked up at Louis again and our eyes locked. Soon, I found myself entirely lost in those blue orbs.

I’ve just let these little things slip out of my mouth,
But it’s you, oh it’s you, it’s you, they add up to
And I’m in love with you, and all your little things.

I won’t let these little things slip out of my mouth,
But if I do, it’s you,
It’s you they add up to…

At this point, Louis had begun leaning towards me. We had somehow gravitated towards each other while we sang and in a matter of seconds, we had our foreheads pressed together and I was smiling as Louis sang the last line.

I’m in love with you, and all your little things.

He closed the gap between us and kissed me.  I set the guitar to the side and wrapped my arms around him.  

I almost immediately heard a chorus of ‘aww’s’ and the sound of someone gagging. We broke apart and glanced at the door. Louis’s sisters were smiling and giggling and Harry was making a gagging sound.

“You guys are so cute together!” Charlotte exclaimed and the other girls agreed.

“Yep,” Harry said, “You know, it’s kind of nice to hear you sing again, Val. I've missed it.” I looked down at the ground and smiled.

“And I've missed singing,” I replied, smiling. It really did feel great to sing again. After three years of misery, with no reason for music, singing with Louis felt amazing.