Chapter 22: The Past is Past

Valerie’s POV:

I hopped out of the shower and hurried to my bedroom. Perrie was sitting on the bed, waiting for me. She had laid out a casual, yet, fun dress and a pair of shoes on the bed.

“Get changed, okay?” Perrie said, “I’ll be outside. You come and get me once you’re done changing.” I nodded and Perrie slipped outside.

It took me about a minute to change and when I was done, I let Perrie back in. When she came in, she was holding a hair drier and a few bottles of hair products in her arms.

“I’m sure Zayn won’t mind if we use a few of these,” she said. I giggled and Perrie sat me down on the bed, facing the mirror on the wall, and began to blow dry my hair.

“So, Valerie,” Perrie said, “Why don’t you tell me about yourself?”

“Well,” I started, “I’m Harry’s twin sister, in case you didn’t know that already. Um…” I had to think for a moment. I’m terrible at describing myself. I never know how to. Perrie seemed to catch on.

“Don’t like describing yourself?” she asked. I half smiled and nodded, “That’s alright. Maybe it’ll be easier if we play a little game of 20 questions. Well, actually, it’s probably gonna turn into a game of more than 20 questions…” Perrie trailed off.

“Sure,” I said, “I could handle that.”

“Alright, hmm…” Perrie thought for a second, “How about, favorite color?”

“Blue,” I said, right away, “Like, the color of the ocean or a body of water.”

“Or like Louis’s eyes?” Perrie teased. I rolled my eyes and Perrie giggled, “You know, it’s nice seeing Louis happy again. I haven’t seen him this happy since he was with Eleanor.”

“Who’s Eleanor?” I asked. The name sounded familiar…

“Louis’s ex,” Perrie replied, her voice turning ice cold, “Dumped him without any warning. Crushed his heart.” Perrie stopped messing with my hair and turned me to face her, “Now, I’m assuming you prefer your makeup light, am I right?” I nodded and she began to work on the makeup.

“So, how long ago did she dump him?” I asked while Perrie applied a small amount of eye shadow.
“I think it’s been a few months,” she said, “It took a month for him to act like himself again, and it took even longer for him to stop looking back at their time together. And then, he found you.” She started applying some lip gloss, “I’ve gotta say, you make him happier than El ever did.” I smiled, “Now, back to more than 20 questions…”

Perrie finished applying my makeup and had me look in the mirror. I’ve gotta say, Perrie was a miracle worker, I couldn’t have done half as good as she did.

“Well,” Perrie said, admiring her work, “What do you think?”

“Amazing,” I breathed out. I got up and hugged her, “You’re a miracle worker, Perrie!” She just laughed.

“Oh please, you were perfect already,” she said, hugging me back, “You just needed a few finishing touches.”

Perrie and I spent the rest of the time talking, not really about anything in particular, just whatever came to mind. By the time 5:30 came around, Perrie and I knew each other better than the back of our hands.

Perrie went downstairs before me and brought the boys upstairs, by my request of course. I’m almost certain that when they all saw Louis and I together, they’d have a field day teasing the both of us. I was about to head downstairs when I heard a knock at the door. I opened it and saw Harry standing there.

“Hey Val,” he said.

“Hey Harry, what’s up?” He smiled at me and pulled me in for a bone crushing hug. I chuckled and hugged him back, “Okay? Did you just come up here to hug me?” He let go of me and shook his head. I saw that his eyes were red.

“Oh Haz,” I said, “Why are you crying?”

“You grew up so fast,” he said, “Too fast.” I rolled my eyes.

“Harry, need I remind you that I’m older than you?”

“Only by ten minutes!” Harry exclaimed. He took a deep breath and calmed down a little, “I just mean, I wish that we were fifteen again; you wouldn’t have gone missing, and I’d be dealing with your first boyfriend. Threatening him if anything happened to you, pummeling him if he broke your heart, being the overprotective brother. And now, we’re eighteen, you’re going on a date with my best mate, and I know he’ll take care of you.” He wiped away a tear as he said this, At this point, I didn’t know whether to comfort him, laugh, or tell him he’s being stupid.

“I know I’m getting over emotional over this,” he continued, “But I’ve only wished for you to be happy, ever since we found each other again. And now, I think that wish is about to come true.” He finished his speech and I smiled at him.

“To be honest Harry,” I said, “I don’t know whether I should say thank you, attempt to comfort you, or ask you if it’s your time of the month.” Harry snorted, “So I’ll just say… thank you Harry, I am happy, and I’m glad you care so much about me, but you’re acting like an overemotional pregnant woman right now.”

“Wow, way to ruin the moment,” Harry said and we both laughed.

“Really though Harry,” I said once we had stopped laughing, “You’re the best brother a girl could ever have.” I looked over at the time, “I should get going, it’s almost 6:00…” Harry pulled me in for one more hug.

“Have a good time, Val,” he said and let me go, “And if Louis tries to pull anything…”

“Harry…”

“Fine…” he chuckled, “See you later, Val.” I got up and walked out of the room and down the stairs to meet Louis.